Shadow

My 4 month old Great Dane isnt picking up toilet training very well.

We are at work 9 - 5, 5 days a week. We also have another dog Bailey (Lab) who is now 3 he is perfectly toilet trained and we are using the same method now as we did with Bailey i.e regular trips outside, walks, using command words. but nothing is working. We always come home to "presents" and considering the amount of food he eats you can imagine it isnt pleasant. It is also the same at night time. Is there any other methods/advice? i love my dog but not the "presents"

p.s. i dont agree with crate training considering the amount of time he will be in there. He uses the kitches as his "den"

Asked by Shadow on Oct 18th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Koby

Crate training would only be temporary. I work 9-5. Although, I can come home on my lunch break. But Koby is still in the crate while I'm at work. He sleeps most of the day. When we get home, we play with him for a while. So crate training might be the way to go. You would have to start over, like he doesn't know anything. Make him earn his freedom. If he doesn't go, put him back in the crate. If he goes, he just earned 1 hour of freedom. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 10/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris Badenov

I have crate trained all of my dogs and it took 2 days. (the weekend) The first thing I do when the dog is active and ready to come out is take them to the potty spot out back. They then get to play and have some yard time. Even if the dog will come right back into the house... before anything when he comes out of the crate we go to the potty spot. When the dog eliminates I always give praise *good potty*. With my pitbull I did this when he was 7 weeks old so he was given praise and a treat. The dog does not have to be cooped up in the crate 24/7 but during this time it is out he should be monitored closely. Usually if you catch them in the act if you pick the dog up he will stop he should be immediately take to potty spot to continue.

At night waking and taking him to the potty spot every 2 hours. On day 3 the dogs just went. Most even scratched at the door. It just becomes habitual. The crate door can can be removed once train it makes a great haven and safe place for your dog

Boris Badenov answered on 10/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Takoda

Since I was working long hours when my husky was a pup and did not crate train, I had a similiar experience. If you do not crate train, you have to expect the process to take much longer. If I did it over again, I would crate train even if it was just at night. It teaches them to hold it. Also, a big part of it was age for me, the older he got the better he got so be patient. Keep up the regular walks and provide praise when they go in the right spot. Lastly if you are able to provide access to a yard while you are gone, it will be huge help in the training process. Good Luck!

Takoda answered on 10/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer