Burtons Ridge JacksonBear

My 3 yr.old Berner is only 77lbs. Vet says this is ok. i think he is to thin.

The vet says it is better on his hips. He eats plenty and is very happy and active. Is this to low of a weight for a Berner?

Asked by Burtons Ridge JacksonBear on Dec 5th 2009 Tagged berner, weight in Bernese Mountain Dog

Best Answer

It's tough when you have a dog with this kind of coat to tell if he really is too thin. But I agree with the vet and the others here that the hip health is probably helped by being ever so slightly on the thinner side.

A good test would be to really massage him and see if you can feel his spine and in particular the area right at the rump on top, just before the base of the tail. If you can feel a lot of bone there without a lot of muscle coverage or you feel that your fingers sink in there or at the ribs quite a bit, he's too thin.

If you can just feel some bone but can also feel muscle and some padding, he's ok.

Jack answered on Dec 5th.

Answers

Farley

77 lbs is sort of small for a BMD, but yours could just be a smaller guy. If your vet says he is in fine shape, then he probably is. and yes, it is much easier on their joints and bones when they weigh less!

Farley answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sometimes go with what the vet says.

To me, that weight doesn't sound to be too thin.

I have a large german shepherd and when you weigh her you scratch your head.
She is like around 71 lbs.
I ask the vet all the time, and they're like she is fine.
She eats alot but if she eats anymore than she either gets sick or is bouncing off the wall trying to burn it off. I think I would rather have my dog be lean then fat.

I think if he is active, happy and is healthy, you shouldn't worry.

I use to worry but when a dog is eating and is healthy then there is no need.

He's beautiful.
en.wikipedia.org

They list 65-120 for weight. So, I think he is just right for him :)

Shiver Me Timbers

While he sounds small for a Berner to me as well, I looked at his pictures and he looks perfectly healthy. Listen to your vet. If they're concerned with his weight, they'll tell you.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

I am sure your vet is right. It is best for him to be at a lighter weight then a heavier weight. Its easier on his muscles and joints. :D

Maverick answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer