Daisy

My 3 year old female border collie just started attacking our 7 year smaller terrier mix.

This morning was the second time I had to break up a fight. Daisy had AJ cornered in the back of the dog house and was "going at him". He was terrified and even has a small gash on his back now. Up until the last 3 weeks or so, Daisy has been the sweetest dog with the best attitude about everything. We have not changed anything in the way we act towards her or towards AJ. Why would her behavior change so suddenly and what can I do about it?

Asked by Daisy on Aug 21st 2008 in Aggression

Answers

Karlie R.I.P October 12th 07

I've heard about this, the results can be terrible. It all has to do with the fairness of a muti-dog home. Who you pet first, give the treat to, snuggle with more, etc. In one case 1 dog was killed nad the other was seriously injured. I'm not saying this is going to happen but it must have come on out-of-the-blue. They snap persay. watch your dogs. Kepp a close eye and I reccomend a behaviouralist.

Karlie R.I.P October 12th 07 answered on 8/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

Well,.. behaviors like this are dominance related. To expand on what was said before it DOES matter who you pet first, who gets fed first, who gets treats first. My Maggie Is the dominant of all in my pack. if she is not first then someone will catch hell, most likely Tannis.

Take time and make sure you feed, pet, play with, everything your Daisy first. And do they have seperate houses? It also matters where they sleep.

However you have to be dominant over all and keep peace. do not tolerate violence and when violence ensues, put them in separate crates. or their beds, someplace YOU have control over them and dictate their actions.

It will take a bit of time but as long as you recognize Daisy first then things should settle down. But if not, then there is another issue.

Also watch to see what your terrier is doing. If your Terrier vies for dominance first it may be you are catching the back end of retaliation.

But look and see what is going on and why.

Maggie answered on 8/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shania

www.cesarmillaninc.com

Shania answered on 8/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer