My 3 month old puppy all of sudden doesn't like to be held on his back. He used to be completely fine with it...

...but the last few times I picked him up and held him on his back he has squirmed, squealed and yelped until I put him down. When I put him down, he is goes and hides like he's afraid of me. I don't want him to be afraid or uncomfortable of being held or of me picking him up...also afraid to keep holding him like this b/c I don't want it to escalate into an aggressive response. What do I do in this situation?

Asked by Member 1155314 on Feb 14th 2013 Tagged squeal, holding, holdingonback, fear in Behavior & Training

Answers

stop holding him the way you describe. Try just having him in your lap. Most dogs do not like to be forced to expose their bellies. Hold him in a way that he is not upside down.
Unless he is a toy breed, I advise not picking him up at all. He has 4 perfectly good legs..let him use them.

Did you ever do that alpha roll thing as punishment or hold him upside down when he was being bad? I wouldn't do that again, but it is important to learn to be cradled (on his back, between your legs) for grooming etc..Just cradle him til he relaxes, then he can be let up and given a treat... they are normally wiggly and squirmy as pups. Does he like tummy rubs? Will he be a big dog? Make sure he has more time on the ground running around and exploring then in your arms being coddled.