My 2-year-old Shih Tzu keeps playing with my roommates new kitten, but she is too rough. How do I make her stop?

My dog plays with the full-grown cats at my grandparents house, which is fine cause the cats are actually larger than her. But this kitten is much smaller. The problem is, the kitten WANTS to play with my dog but then mews in pain all the time (or so I think). I love my dog, and I don't want to have to keep punishing her/yelling at her when I know she is already jealous the cat is in the house in the first place. What do I do?

And she refuses to learn the "leave it" trick, so that's not gonna work.

Asked by Member 757946 on Jul 28th 2010 Tagged dog, kitten, playing, aggressive, play in Socialization

Answers

Leave it is good to teach and easy to teach.
My big old dog use to love to rough house with our cats. Boy those two were something else when it came to wrestling and stuff.
We use to be amused at how they tumbled and had fun.
As long as the cat is having fun there isn't much need to worry, they must be buddies.
www.petplace.com/dogs/teaching-your-dog-to-leave-it/page1.aspx

If she is jealous of your roommates cat, and the dog belongs to you. Then you pay attention to your dog and let your roomamte pay attention to the cat until it is old enough to defend itself better. Short of keeping them seperated which may be the easy thing to do. Keep them in seperate rooms.

Hector

It won't take long before the kitten grows and is as big as the ones your dog is use to playing with.

I was able to teach Hector the "easy" command. He is so big that when we wrestled, he would get too rough, and so I had to train him to be "easy" and now when he plays with my moms cats, he still plays easy. I allow him to play a little rougher with his younger sister Gidget, as she is a real monster, so he has to be able to defend himself otherwise she would chew his legs off. If I find him getting too rough with her though, I say the "easy" command and he switches from using teeth on her neck to just using his nose to nudge and run or chase, but no more teeth. Try it, it works really well.

If not, just separate the two for a couple more months till the kitten is not so easily hurt.

Good luck!!

Hector answered on 7/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer