my 2 months lab is not eating rice , its eating only pedigree , please help me

i have 2 months lab and i was feeding it with milk and curd rice till 58 days and my vet advised to start feeding with pedigree and from 2 days i started to feed it pedigree along with rice and 1st time it ate very well and 4m next it is just eating pedigree and keeping the rice a side :(
please i want my dog to eat pedigree along with rice
please help me friends :(
i am ready to do any thing for my dog welfare
please guide and help me please

Asked by Member 1118017 on Jun 28th 2012 in Pet Food

Answers

I'm not sure I see why the dog needs to eat rice...it's simply a filler and not species-appropriate, there's already more than enough filler and grain in the Pedigree dog food. I would simply stop serving rice.

Buddy

I also am not sure why your vet would suggest that you only feed him rice for 58 days? Does he have some health problem, rice alone sure would not be a healthy diet, unless there are stomach problems; however I do feed my dog NUTRO Lamb & Rice dry dog food. Your can find the Nutro brand at most Pet food stores, if you have a problem locating one in your area, you also can check my blog at www.joyfulanimalrescue.com Hope this will help.

Buddy answered on 6/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with the first answer, there is no reason to feed your dog rice if you're feeding a commercial diet formulated to provide complete nutrition by itself. Rice can be a good part of a home-made diet from basic ingredients, but is totally unnecessary to add to a commercial dog food. Rice and milk alone is a completely inadequate diet for a dog, by the way. Dogs need vitamins, minerals, etc, that are not found in such a restricted diet.

No doubt that rice is good for dogs, but it is not the only grain that is beneficial for them, you can try giving your pup other grains like oatmeal,corn, millet, barley, etc as well, which provide the same amount of nutrition like rice. Don't force your dog to eat rice if he doesn't want to.

Brutus Paul

I agree with the other posts. It is also worth mentioning, what type of milk? Cows milk seriously upsets dog's stomachs. Goat's milk is a less irritating alternative.

If the milk was upsetting the pup's stomach, he was probably avoiding the rice because it was served with the milk.

If you need more help, please feel free to find me at my site, www.pawsthenplay.com

Brutus Paul answered on 6/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mavis

There is no need to add rice or milk to the PEDIGREE Puppy food. It is important to feed puppies food that is complete and balanced for puppies to ensure they are getting all the nutrition they need. When you add other foods on top that are not nutritionally complete (like rice or milk), you dilute all the essential nutrients. That means your puppy may not get everything they need.

That may be part of the reason why your dog chooses the kibble as well. Some animals will seek nutrients that they need and if they were only on milk and rice before, they were missing many nutrients from their diet.

The PEDIGREE Puppy is a good, well balanced diet for your puppy.

Mavis answered on 6/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer