My 2 Dogs Play Fight Constantly (One puppy is new, other is over a year - boy and girl)

Hi, I have 2 dogs, a Victorian Bulldog (1yr 4months, female) and a new puppy I bought 3 days ago, who's a Bullmastiff (male, 14 weeks old). They seem to be getting along well, but they do play quite rough. The girl is pretty rough and tumble anyway as she's very muscular and plays with much bigger dogs over the park. I have been making them take regular breaks from playing as it can get quiet intense, especially as you need to be careful with Bullmastiff puppies when they're young because of their hips etc. He's almost as big as her but has no body strentgh really, but they seem to love playing. My question is, he seems to snap quite a bit at her, but they dont seem to be fighting, they both bite each other's legs (only softly as there are no yelps or frenzied behaviours) and jowlels a lot. It does get quite agitated but they're not fighting it seems. Should I let them play this way? They only stop really when I separate them. He humps her quite a lot during play, and she doesnt seem t

Asked by Member 1194688 on Oct 16th 2013 Tagged bullmastiff, bulldog, playfighting, snapping in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

As long as you don't see any bad habits developing, go with your gut. Make sure they do know that if you are interrupting their play that you mean it though, because when the baby weighs more than you, the last thing you'll want is to be ignored. Start training the little one right away with potty breaks, come, heel and basics that he'll need to know for later. Cheers ^_^