Guest

my 1 year old 15 lbs dog just ate about 1/2 dozen of tums, what do I do?


Asked by Member 896683 on Oct 3rd 2009 in Behavior & Training
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Fritz

Call the vet NOW. I don't think tums has anything bad in it, but you need to make sure. A phone call won't cost anything and if you need to take him in, better now then going to the ER vet late at night.


Fritz answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Sassy

Check the label. If the TUMS contains any xylitol you MUST go in. It is very toxic to dogs!

I do NOT think it does, the first site I looked at shows regular TUMS has sucrose which is just table sugar in it and sugar free has sorbitol which is not toxic either.


Sassy answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Aster

I wouldn't panic. At the worst, it should only upset its stomach.


Aster answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Maverick

I would call your vet asap, or the local emergency vet, or even poison control just to be safe.


Maverick answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Jet

I agree with poster #2. If it contains the substance, the vet should be brought into this. Aster is WAAAAAAAYYYY off, because if Tums contains the sweetner, your dog could die. Aster needs to do research before answering anything. Geez.


Jet answered on 10/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer