My 14 year old Siberian Husky can't seem to stand suddenly. His right eye is constantly rolling up and down, twitching.

His legs appears to be weak, more so the left side. He can hobble for a few steps, shaking, and then just collapses. Usually, he has no problem jumping off the couch, and just this evening, he can't seem to even stand. He appears dizzy-looking. His body is not hurting when I rubbed it down. His head is askewed to left side. What is going on? Vet office is closed now, but will take him tomorrow.

Asked by Member 1047290 on Aug 21st 2011 Tagged weakness, collapsing, eyejerking, headtilting in Senior Pet

Answers

Sounds like a seizure... see if you have an E-Vet to call.

sounds like CVS..canine vestibular syndrome. My last guy had it when he was 16. The symptoms "mimic" a stroke, but the telltale sign is the nystagmus (eye twitch/roll) & the head tilt. It comes on suddenly..no warning. My guy was playing one minute, then on the ground. I am not sure how treatment has progressed. With mine, we just monitored him until he was better. He never lost the head tilt, but did regain use of his legs & the nystagmus cleared up within 48 hours. Make sure to mention the nystagmus, in case it clears up. Do not settle for an offhand remark such as "oh he had a stroke." Strokes in dogs are extremely rare. Good luck. My guy was never quite the same after.