my 14 year old dog breath stinks,, and his doing # 2 all over the house,,, how more can I take?

I adopted him 10 years ago from the SPCA, he was around 4 or 5 years old at the time,,, from the time of adoption he suffered from bath breath and ear infections,,, now it has gotten worst :( . even My two year old daughter keeps telling the dog go away ,,, your mouth stinks..... everyone tells me I should put him down,, but I dont think I can ,, and I cannot afford have any treatment on him now,, he is pooping everywhere inside the house, even after 5 minutes of getting back from a walk,,, and we cannot enjoy him closed to us because his breath stinks really bad,,,,, what should I do?

Asked by Member 979758 on Apr 5th 2010 in Dental Care

Answers

Bad breath has several causes, but it's not normal. Could be a dental problem, or something worse. As for pooping in the house, it sounds like your dog may have fecal incontinence. Both of these problems say take your dog to the vet.

Petri

What kind of poop is he having? If it is abnormal try mixing some cooked rice in with his food to help get rid of any junk in his stomach/intestines. As for the bad breath and ear infections, a couple fantastic products you can try are PETfection Breath Freshener Spray and Ear Cleaner Spray. Both are 100% Organic and Non-Toxic and work really well. The breath spray will help combat plaque and bacteria in the mouth which helps to neutralize stinkyness. The ear spray will clear up yeast/mites and help prevent the infection from coming back. I use both products and have been very happy with them! You can check them out at www.mypetfection.com under the Sprays section. Good luck!

Petri answered on 4/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

dental care is important throughout a dog's life as well as ours. It probably has been going on over a long period of time.
Also there is problems with incontinence when dogs become elderly. They can not help it.
Take him out every hour so he has a chance to go.
I think you should take him to the vet.

Howard & Woody's breath used to stink, now it smells perfect! Their chewing on Merrick bones, mainly Merrick Wishbones.

You can use Pet Z Life. I had great results when using that.

That Petzlife product has grain alcohol in it. Not something I would give my dog.

Also, it contains rosemary so dogs with epilepsy should not be given it since rosemary can be a trigger for seizures.

As for the dog's breath and house-soiling issue, please take him to a vet.

Why would everyone be telling you to put your dog down if you haven't figured out what is wrong with him?

He could have a very treatable issue that is caused by old age incontinence. Or he could have something else going on. But either way, please take him to the vet to get him checked out.

A lot of the time it's gum disease that causes bad breath in older dogs, but it only takes one rotten tooth to abscess and cause a very foul odor. Stomach issues can also cause a bad odor from the mouth.

Bad breath is NOT normal for a dog, despite popular belief. It is in indication of a health issue, usually tooth decay. Do you brush your dogs teeth everyday? Does he have bones to chew on. If you cannot afford to have a vet look at him then check out a product called petzlife. It's about 20 bucks including shipping. ( I havent seen it in any stores). You spray it several times a day (at first) until your dogs plaque is gone, then just once a day. It's quite possible from what you're describing that he might have a severe infection from his teeth which may affect his control of his bowels. Understood that money is tight, that's all over but is it possible to get him to a vet for at least a conferral? Also check out local rescue groups sometimes they offset the cost of medical care especially in a case where you rescued him from a SPCA. Good Luck!