Mai Tai

My 14 week old puppy has started humping my one year old dog. I stopped him. Does this mean he is dominating or playing

The puppy is only 2 lbs, the dog is 13 lbs. The dog is pretty tolerant of the puppy, even letting it eat from his dish. Is the dog just a submissive type and is the pup too bossy?

Asked by Mai Tai on Aug 24th 2009 Tagged humping in Behavior & Training

Answers

Neka

it sounds like play to me ... pups are not dominating. what you call pushy or bossy is just him being a normal puppy.

the dog being tolerant of the puppy is a great sign. letting it eat from his dish means there are no personality issues.

but remember, if either of them do something you dont like, you need to tell them to "knock it off". thats your job as a responsible leader.

Neka answered on 8/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Your pup is playing & finding his way around his little doggy world...Your other dog will correct him if Mr. Too Full of Himself crosses the line!

Play initiation, I agree with Pippin. Also remember that adult dogs know that puppies are just babies and in general allow them to get away with annoying behaviors -- as puppy gets older, the older dog will begin to correct puppy.