My 12 year old dog is having trouble jumping onto our furniture. Should I be worried? Is she sick

She has been more tired than usual and she hasn't been able to get on to our furniture that well. She used to be scared when you pick her up but when I did it tonight to help her onto my bed she didn't mind at all. I am a little worried. Is it just because she is getting old or is it something else?

Asked by Member 1156712 on Feb 23rd 2013 Tagged sheeatsbenifulfool in Senior Pet

Answers

Maggie

She has probably developed some arthritis. Trouble getting up/down or jumping on the bed or couch is a classic sign of discomfort. An xray will tell you for sure, but if you have a good vet they should be able to identify it if that is the case. It might be time to get start her on some arthritis medication. There are over the counter supplements you can try. I'm currently using Phycox for my lab as long as I can before moving to a prescription. Your vet should be able to recommend what is best.

Maggie answered on 3/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer