Trinity

My 12 year old coon hound has pretty much stopped eating her food. She will eat a bit of human food and some canned dog

I don't give her human food at all. She still goes to the bathroom like normal it's been over a month since she has had anything normal.

Asked by Trinity on Dec 2nd 2013 Tagged food, sick, old in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Becca

Sounds like a trip to the Vet may be in order.

However, all Dogs regardless of their age (and impairments not withstanding) should get some regular exercise.

Becca answered on 12/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have you had her to the vet? If so, what tests were done? You can ask this question in the health forum on this site where we can answer back and forth, which we can't do here.

I would suggest that you take your dog to the vet as she might be having stomach problems.

Mix canned food with her dry food or soak her dry food in water and let it sit for a few minutes and then feed it to her. Take her to the vet for a checkup!

Shasta

Hmm... It could just be a sign of a picky dog, but she could have a health problem (might even be a bad tooth, and kibble is painful to chew).
Be sure she's getting enough exercise, and try letting her go a day without anything but her regular food offered (dogs are designed to handle a fast just fine. Many raw-diet feeders have their dogs fast once every week or two even)

A vet checkup would definitely be the best bet, just to make sure there's nothing weird going on.

Shasta answered on 12/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I concur with the other posters that a senior exam is in order. You never know what you can find from a few tests... my last two had thyroid issues, and I had no idea. When dogs and people get old enough, things healthwise do change. If it is food-related, Natural Choice has a free rebate offer now through Feb. '14 on any type of dog food, including sensitive skin and stomach. Give it a try if you think she's not getting enough nutrition, and good luck @ the vet! ^_^ HNY 2014