My 10 yrs old black male scottie is constantly licking his 2 front paws when he is idle

He licks both of his paws constantly when he is free and sitting down in front of me. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1049310 on Aug 27th 2011 Tagged scottishterrier, paws, licking in Health & Wellness

Answers

Compulsive licking can be due to allergies, anxiety, boredom, or (seriously) OCD. It can get pretty serious if it causes a secondary infection or other skin problems. Getting advice from your vet is the best way to go, here.

Here's a website dedicated to this issue:

www.dogpawlicking.com

It may be a sign of boredom. Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise so he doesn't focus his pent up energy on his paws. If he is scratching and licking in other places too it might be allergies, but if it just the paws I would say boredom. Check to make sure there are not any cuts or sores in the paws. If you see anything sore spots or red areas, I suggest using I suggest using PETfection Hot Spots/Wound Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and is great to use red inflamed spots. It will heal up the area quickly and you can use it as often as needed. You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com for more info. Hope this helps, good luck!