My 10 year old German Shepherd is limping on her back, right leg. What can I do to help her?

We can take her to a vet.

Asked by Member 1011796 on Nov 14th 2010 Tagged hippain in Health & Wellness

Answers

Jazzy

You need to make a visit to the vet. we are not vets so therefore we can not diagnose why your ddog is limping. My guess is she may be starting to get hip dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is a common hereditary disease in the GSD's along with labs, retrievers. A lot of big dogs get hip dysplasia

Jazzy answered on 11/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bianca

It says in your question that you can take her to the vet - you should probably do that, or at the very least, call your veterinarian and ask for some phone advice.

If your dog is calm and will allow you to look at it safely, look at her leg and foot to be sure there are no visible injuries or lumps. If you notice anything, be sure to share that with the vet when speaking with them. They can tell you if you need to bring the dog in, or if you can treat it at home. My dog has occasionally had small scrapes on his paw pads that make him limp for one or two days, and my vet told me how to treat those at home.

If you can't see what is causing the problem, you will probably need to go to the vet for a complete exam and diagnosis. The vet will be able to tell you what type of treatment is most successful for the problem your dog has.

Good Luck!

Bianca answered on 11/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A vet check is important. My last gsd started limping on left hind leg at around 8, but we put him on a natural supplement & it increased his mobility greatly. At 12 he was limping again, but this time he tore his ACL. So your vet will need to assess/xray etc to figure it out. Good luck with her.

I would just try to keep her calm until you can get her to the vet. You do not want to make it any worse.

Bernie Williams

Hi there,

Limping on the rear limb could be as simple as a strain or spraining of soft tissue in the knee, hip, or ankle joint. Soft tissue would include ligaments, tendons, and muscle. If she is still weight bearing and only mild to moderately lame, simple rest would be a reasonable approach. Basically, no stairs, jumping or running. When outside, she is on the leash only, for 5 minutes walked around very slowly 4-5 times daily. If this approach is helping, then do it for 2 weeks beyond the time that the limping has resolved. If she is severely lame, then I would be concerned about a possible ACL tear of the knee, a disc injury or other spinal disease in her back, or even bone cancer. If this is the case, then an exam by a vet and pikely some x-rays would be your best approach. Good luck!

Bernie Williams answered on 11/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tucker Max Small Paws

Check her foot too to make sure there are no thorns or other obstructions caught in her toe pads. Lately we find that acorn shells get caught in my feet. My brother JR once had a big thorn wedged between his toes too.

Tucker Max Small Paws answered on 11/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

your dog needs to see a vet so the leg and hip area can be evaluated for a diagnosis. This could be many things, so don't hesitate to get the dog care that he or she needs. good luck.
this is by the way an elderly dog that needs check ups at the vets at least 2x a year and other general care.
feel better soon.

If you are up for massaging her hips this will help. A wonderful massage oil to use is PETfection Joint Massage Oil. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and is designed for dogs with arthritic hips and will help loosen up the area and reduce inflammation. You can check it out at www.myPETfection.com under the Body Oils section if you are interested. Good luck!

Bob

Just like with people, seek medical (the vet) advice if you see any symptoms that you cannot easily resolve (with first aid - small cuts/abrasions) or that continue after resting (cage rest - leash walks for potty purposes) for a day or so.

Bob answered on 11/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer