Tigger

My 10 mo. old rat terrier is eating rocks, grass and leaves!? Is this natural? Will he outgrow this?

My 10 mo. old Rat Terrier likes to eat rocks, grass & leaves! When he has a bowel movement the leaves cause the bowels to be stringing. I'm most concerned these things will affect his intestines? He also likes to chew on larger rocks, and I'm afraid this is going to break his teeth! I had thought he was just teething, but he should have all his teeth by now? He has lots of toys, he is a constant chewer!

Asked by Tigger on Aug 6th 2010 in Answers

Answers

I guess I would be teaching a "leave it" command and keeping him on a leash until he, hopefully, outgrows this. Just ask your vet how many times he has done surgery to remove a rock from a dog's intestines and how much it costs!!! As for chewing on rocks, again, a good "leave it" command should cure the problem. It is up to us to make sure our dogs are kept from doing things that can harm them, and eating rocks and chewing rocks can definitely harm them!!!

Maverick

I would try discouraging him from using the rocks as a chew toy by using the leave it command, taking it away, and giving him his chew bone. Hopefully, that will help. Remember be patient and consistency is key!

Maverick answered on 8/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer