motrin and dogs ??

i gave my pomeranian not even half of a motrin. i had no idea it was bad for them. he has hurt his back leg and the vet cant see him till thursday. i feel so stupid. i had no idea it was bad for them. will he get sick and die this one time ? i have only given it to him this once.

Asked by Member 624717 on Apr 22nd 2008 in Pet Products

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

he should be fine. you can give baby aspirin for the pain. my chihuahua broke his leg and had to wait until the next day, the vet said give him a baby aspirin for the night. I continued with that for a few days even after he saw the vet. I always keep a bottle on hand...you never know what these little guys are going to get into!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella

Motrin is not safe for animals. If they are given too much their vital organs will be severely damaged. If it was my dog I would take it to the vet. Also, Baby aspirin is very different from Motrin (Ibuprofen)

Bella answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

Motrin is bad for dogs. But depending on the size of your dog and the amount you gave him. I once gave my Tiffy a crushed up half of Motrin and she was fine. She also weighs about 35 lbs. You might want to take your baby to the vet just to be sure.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TK, CGC

The only OTC pain med I'm aware of that dogs can have is aspirin. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and especially acetaminophen (Tylenol) are big no-nos.

Be wary of giving any aspirin for pain relief if the dog has a laceration or a history of stomach ulcers as aspirin is also used as an antiplatelet agent and can increase the risk of bleeding.

TK, CGC answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

They make dog aspirin too.