Minature Schnauzer with excessive body odor

I have a 5 month old male minature schnauzer. He is a happy-go-lucky friendly little guy. He has had all his shots, gets regular grooming, has a good appetite, no bowel or urine problems. He is an inside pet, but gets a lot of regular outside activity. My problem - he has a very strong body odor. I have tried changing his diet and taken him to the vet and health wise he is fine. I have had all of his hair except the beard and eyebrows trimmed very close to try and get rid of the body odor. You can give him a bath with good puppy shampoo and conditioner and within as short a time as a couple of hours he is already stinking again. I do not want this offensive dog smell lingering in my house, but I do not know what else to try to help get rid of this body odor. I have been around other inside dogs and they do not smell this way. I have tried the doggy sprays and they do not help. Please help with any suggestions I might try. Thank you.

Asked by Member 861726 on Jul 28th 2009 Tagged schnauzer, body, odor in Skin Problems

Answers

Does he have a chance to roll in anything stinky including his own feces in his outdoor activities?

First, try switching to a premium, grain-free food. Most skin and stink disorders are caused by unnecessary corns and grains in dog food. Also, it can take up to 6 weeks to get the old stuff out of his system, so you must be patient.
Second, consider a systemic yeast infection as the culprit. This is treatable, but you have to know it exists first!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 7/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

schatzie

Are you sure it's his body? My miniature schnauzer had a foul odor, but it was her breath. I brushed her teeth daily, used special drops in her water, everything I could think of. I finally took her to the vet. I mean, it was bad. The vet said he couldn't smell it!! But he said it was possibly from teething, from the old blood around her teeth. and he was right. When she finished teething, it went away. If it is truly his body, I would consider food again. Maybe a really good natural food. We did have a problem with odor (on her beard and mouth area) when she was on science diet. We had to wash her face every time she ate. We changed food, and that went away. Good luck!

schatzie answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

check out www.myPETfection.com. They offer a Deodorizer/Allergy Spray you can try. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic. From what I have heard, it works well! It will help prevent future odor's from occuring too.