Bessie Best

Menstruation in dogs?

hi. Bessie just had blood coming out of her you know, yesterday. So I was just wondering, how many times do they go in heat? And, if they do go in heat that means they'll be having menstruation right? There are a lot of big male dogs in our neighborhood, and they might breed. So I'm keeping a good eye on her. How many days will it last? I hate cleaning up the messes she makes when she sits and spills blood. yuck, I'm afraid of blood, so I'm asking the maid to clean it instead,

Asked by Bessie Best on Jul 2nd 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

You need to keep a 100% eye on her during the ENTIRE heat, not just the bleeding part. It's your responsibility to not allow any "oops" litters. "They might breed" should not even be a passing thought in your mind. She CANNOT go outside alone or do ANYTHING outside alone. I'm not exaggerating. STRICT supervision. You can also pick up doggie diapers for the bleeding. If this doesn't sound like a fun time for you, have her spayed, barring any physical conditions that prevent it.

Kolbe answered on Jul 2nd.

Answers

You've got it.
You can get her doggie diapers. They make some especially for females in-heat.

Katie Belle

Just be aware that doggie diapers will only keep you from having to clean up blood - only extremely vigilant supervision will keep her from breeding. A female's heat cycle lasts about 3 weeks, and usually happens twice a year. If you find this so distasteful, why don't you just get her spayed? Then you won't have to worry about her going into heat ever again.

Katie Belle answered on 7/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Bessie Best!

I came from the shelter, and they spayed me before I went home at four months old. Best thing ever! I never go into heat, I never make messes, and I am much less likely to ever get breast cancer, because I don't have those hormones in my system any more.

Here are some great reasons to get spayed, if you need any others: www.barkrescue.net

If you get pregnant, Bessie, you can get a spay/abort if it's early enough. If not, you will have to go to the vet frequently to make sure everything's OK. And you may end up needing a very expensive C-section - so why risk it?

Over one million dogs are put down each year because of irresponsible pet owners. Please don't contribute to that number! As a fertile dog, you could create hundreds or even thousands of offspring. If you have puppies, and they are not spayed or neutered, they could have puppies, and so on and so on. Scary!

If you have a maid, you probably have the money for a spay - so go for it! Yay!

Katie answered on 7/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer