Male husky doesn't like my husband?

Hey, my husband and I recently got a siberian husky, he's very sweet and loves to play with me and my 10 month old daughter. But E, our husky, doesn't like my husband. He runs into a corner and growls every time my husband comes near him. I really don't know what to do. He is really wonderful with me and my daughter, but he doesn't care formy husband. Does any one have any ideas? My husband has tried giving him treats to bribe him, but now nothing works. E is a year old, and he isn't fixed.

Asked by Member 1115175 on Jun 11th 2012 Tagged husky, male, fear, like, husband in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Raven

how old is your husky?? if you brought him into your home at an older age, maybe he was abused by a previous owner.

Raven answered on 6/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Some dogs just don't like men- it's not an indicator of previous abuse usually. Men just tend to be bigger, with deeper voices, and more aggressive body language than women. Men also often try to "make friends with" dogs by roughhousing them, which can really backfire on a sensitive pooch who doesn't play that way.

If it's to the point of growling and fleeing though, I would consult a canine behaviorist if you can afford it. They could watch your husband's interactions with the dog and see what might be triggering this fear response, plus give you a controlled desensitization plan to follow.

My Anatolian Shepherd was somewhat like this when we first got him. He was protective of my wife and stand-offish from me. It was frustrating, but I basically left him alone and let him sit with my wife all of the time. Eventually, he came around and started approaching me.

My advice would be to tell your husband to just give him some space. If your husband starts feeding him at breakfast and/or dinner, that helps too. Often times, if he's the source of food to your dog, your dog will begin to like him more... honestly. Try it out.

www.PetLeader.com