CrystalWater's Petey ( Petey )

M 6 yr old Yorkie( adopted 3 mths)eats like a tornado & drinks water like he's dieing of thirst, vomiting often after...

My little guy seems to be starving all the time and he eats his dinner so fast everynite, he sometimes eats so fast he vomits and then tries to eat that (Yuk) back up!, he's also continuesly thirsty, I can fill a 4 L icecream bucket up(almost full) and it's 1/2 gone in 2 days, 30% of the time he vomits the water up,especially after a walk or after eating, he does pee alot especially on walks, can't pass a tree or post without a pee on it. His stomach seems quite bloated after he drinks. Is he just a gluten? or is it a sign of something like diabetes? I'm a bit worried for him, but my husband says he's just a fast energy burnining unit that needs to refuel alot. Should I be concerned?

Asked by CrystalWater's Petey ( Petey ) on Apr 2nd 2009 Tagged hungry, thirsty, vomits in Diabetes

Answers

I would have vet take a look at him.
My male boston marks alot when I walk, he loves trees, post, leaf piles, poles ect.
He is very much a marker.lol
But, limit his water like let him get small amount of water and add every 15min. as he cools off.
He is small dog so try the little increments of water if you are home. Add a 1/2 cup to bowl every hour. He could very well have an urinary thing going on. Not sure. They can test his blood for several things, I would do that first:)
Also do the food like that feed in smaller portions spread them out an hour before his normal time. That will help his digestion.:) Dying of thirst is not good sign, but may be his way of dealing with stress, water. some people I know use water as reward after doing obedience. So I would limit it to see if he gets better with drinking out of stress or using it as rewards.

Hi. Can i ask where you got him from. Did you adopt him 3 months ago or adopt him when he was 3 months old?
We adopted an adult dog from the shelter and she had previously been at a puppy mill. She always ate her food very quickly. Thats because at the mill she hardly ever got food or water. Some dogs will do this is they didnt get much food and water in a previous home. Its their way of making sure they have enough. It should go away with time and encouragement. As for the always peeing by trees, if he is not neutered its his way of marking his territory.
You should definitely take him to the vet if you are worried though!!

There are not one, but 2 easy, tested, effective ways to control rapid eating. You can spread the food out on a cookie sheet or something. Some of my friends just throw it on the floor of the crate. You can put large rocks in the food dish, much to big to swallow. Either way, the dog can't gulp down one big mouthful after another.

Maybe a very shallow water dish would help too.

I have to agree, a vet visit would be a good idea.

Hello - I would have the little yorkie tested for diabetes - Just to rule it out - A little blood test.. The Excessive drinking is one of the signs of diabetes.
NEXT - Raise up this kid's feeding area - raised feedings will help him take in LESS air when he is eating.
Raised feeding should be at his shoulder level so he doesn't have to bend his body down to the food dish.

I hope the raised feeding helps.
Still talk to the vet about a Thyroid check and diabetes check

BEST wishes

Max

I agree with the vet check but also try having him sit before he eats giving him the recommended amount for his weight but only a hand full or 1/2 hand full at a time. This way you can slow him down. Same with the water, just a 1/2 cup or so at a time, but let him drink his fill. Good luck

Max answered on 5/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer