Kelsie

Low WBC and low platelets, but normal other labs, urine and fecal. Please help! What could it be...?

My 7 year old female ridgeback mix breed wasn't acting herself - she was lethargic, loss of appetite, and honestly, just sad looking. She will eat but not like she normally does. I took her to the vet, and all the labs, urine and fecal tests came back fine except that her WBC and platelets are low. They rechecked it a week later and they still are. We are waiting for the results from a test for ehrlichia. Any other possibilities??? The good, the bad and the ugly....?

Asked by Kelsie on Nov 22nd 2013 Tagged lowwbc, lowplatelets in Health & Wellness

Answers

Jax had ehrlichia. That's what I was going to suggest. It's treatable with antibiotics. If that's what it is, don't be surprised if it takes more than one coarse of meds. It took 3 rounds of Doxycycline for 21 days each her to go into remission. They never get rid of it. It can come back. Jax stayed in remission until she passed from something else. Good Luck and please keep us posted. You can post a follow up on the health forum on this site. :)