looking for a small fluffy dog that will stay small and fluffy under 9lbs

Hi,
I am looking to get a small fluffy dog that will stay that way, at least under 9lbs. I have been looking at a bunch of different mixed breeds and am getting confused. I have looked at Maltichon,Shihchon, Morkies and some other Shih Tzu mixes and Bichon mixes but I can't seem to figure out which one will stay the way I want it. Can you help me?

Sue

Asked by Member 617035 on Apr 4th 2008 in Answers

Answers

Ace

A Maltipoo! They are just sooo adorable. I have a friend, Boo, and she only weighs 4 lbs. They are VERY fluffy too!

Ace answered on 4/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Layla

You should first look into the personality types of each of the breeds involved and decide which one is the best for you and your lifestyle.

We have a Bichon/Poodle mix who we thought would stay relatively small....in the 15-20 lb range but he has surprised us and is nearly 30 lbs. You never know what you're going to end up with with mixed breeds.

Maybe finding an older dog at a rescue or a shelter is better for you since you know for sure what you'll be getting that way. I'd hate to think that you'd give up a dog just because it got to big (not saying you will but that happens far too often).

Layla answered on 4/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well, if the dog is a puppy there is no way to tell exactly what it will look like until it is an adult (unless it is a pure breed dog you bought from a reputable, responsible breeder). I would check out www.petfinder.com and look at adult dogs. Trust me, there will be plenty that need a good home and you can see what it already looks like.
Good luck on your search!

Chloe

My Chloe is a Shih Tzu/Japanese Chin (Jatzu) and she is a DREAM! Gread dog with no crazy behaviors. Even litter box training her has be going smoothly. Check out some pictures I have of her!

Chloe answered on 4/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

Even a litter of high quality bred pups can vary in size. My daughter's Shih Tzu is much larger than her littermates, which is why she was sold for $1500 ibstead of the regular price because she was going to be bigger than the breed standards and couldn't be shown. I think she is over 14 pounds and still lean.
That's why if you really want a small dog, you're better off getting a young adult.

Lily answered on 4/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Montecristo (Monte)

Is there a reason you're looking specifically at mixed breeds? I would suggest rescue if possible if these are the types of dogs you want.

I won't say it's impossible, but it's certainly difficult to find a reputable, quality breeder of "designer breed" dogs. Please ensure that if you go this route, you do lots of research and make your decision carefully and with as much information as possible about where the puppies came from, how they are bred, etc.

You will want to consider all the same "signs of a good breeder" that anyone looking for a purebred dog via a breeder would consider...health testing, temperament, how many litters a year are bred, guarantees to take the dog back at any point in it's life, etc.

For a purebred dog, a Pomeranian may meet your needs quite nicely, or a toy poodle.

Montecristo (Monte) answered on 4/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer