Lily

Lily was groomed too short and now her skin is irritated. What will help?

I had my cocker spaniel groomed on Saturday and they said they had to shave her because her hair was too matted..which is fine.. but they shaved her sooo close to the skin (which seems completely unnecessary) and now she is constantly itching and licking and rubbing her rear end on the carpet. Her skin is obviously irritated and itchy due to the close shave, is there a product I can put on her that will help??

Asked by Lily on Jun 16th 2008 in Professional Grooming

Answers

Aloe vera gel might help. Sadly, time is the best thing that can help her feel better.

A trainer and groomer friend of mine once told me that it is very common for dogs to get a bad case of razor burn by inexperienced or careless groomers. When the fur is cut too close, not only does it become irritated and the skin is exposed, but chances are the razor scratched the skin a bit and burned her.

The friend explained to me that this is totally avoidable and if a groomer does this you shouldn't go back to them. (We saw a dog on our walk with razor burn, this is how the conversation started.)

I'm so sorry she's so uncomfortable, but the good news is that she'll be feeling better in a few days. Make sure she doesn't have a chance to rub herself raw or lick too much, though, or you'll have a worse situation on your hands.

Sorry!

Martini

Petsmart sells a gentle puppy conditioner that we use on Martini because her skin is so senstive to regular shampoo.

Martini answered on 6/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Molly

you could get her some fish oil capsules or some type of omega fatty acid supplement, they have anti inflammatory properties & are great for skin & coat!

♥Molly answered on 6/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer