Labored breathing, grunting on exhale, swollen eyeball

A month ago, my very old lab mix began breathing heavily, grunting loudly when she exhaled. At one point I noticed some brownish discharge coming out of her nose. Then about 2 weeks ago, one of her eyes began to look a little red and swollen near the third eyelid. We dropped her off at the vet's to be boarded for 2 weeks (vacation) and I assumed if it didn't get any better (or got worse) they would take a look at her while she was there.

We got her back yesterday, no one said anything at the vet's. Her breathing is still loud and labored, but I just looked at her eye and it's much, much worse than when we left. The inner corner looks almost lumpy, as if something inside her eyeball is pushing out. It doesn't look like typical cherry eye at all, much worse. It's pushed her cornea all the way to the outside of the eye (looks like a lazy eye compared to the other one).

We made an appt. with the vet for Saturday. She's wagging her tail, seems ok, but I'm worried... Any ideas?

Asked by Member 1179774 on Jul 11th 2013 in Senior Pet

Answers

Destiny

The sooner she sees a vet the better. There are a number of possible causes of such problems, some serious, and the sooner your dog is seen by a competent vet and diagnosed, the better. I personally wouldn't want to use a vet who handed your dog back to you in that condition without saying anything about it.

Destiny answered on 7/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Is there any chance that your dog could have gotten a hold of a poison toad or developed a severe allergy? Find a new local vet!! ^_^