Know of any pet food assistance programs?

I ran into temporary financial issues. My husband is between jobs right now and I'm only a substitute for an after school program for a public school district. We can't afford to feed our dogs or ourselves right now but I'm more concerned about my dogs. Humane Society & Petfoodstamps.com won't help because we don't qualify for State assistance. Does anyone know of any organizations or programs that will help me feed my 2 dogs for a short time?

Asked by Diesel on Jan 26th 2014 Tagged help, food, assistance, humanesociety, programs in Food & Nutrition
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend


  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Kali earned her wings 10/21/14

Have you tried calling the SPCA?
I also found:

Hope that helps. :)

Kali earned her wings 10/21/14 answered on 1/26/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pineapple Smushface

Find pet stores that have a BilJac representative on the weekends because they give away little canisters of food. You can go in with a couple of friends and come up with enough food for a couple of days. In the time that you are spending looking for assistance, you could be spending the same time looking for a part time job that will feed you. I have a dog, four cats and only work part-time so believe me, I understand, but I also work three part time jobs WITH a heart ailment to make ends meet. Talk to everyone you know and network... that's the best way to get a new job. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 1/27/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


If you are in NJ, the Monmouth County SPCA has a pet food pantry.

Chance answered on 1/29/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Check with stores that sell dog food. They will give away expired dog food which is still nutritionally fine.

Member 1177303 answered on 2/5/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Otis - Dachhund mix

Can you perhaps go to the Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul's, etc.& obtain food vouchers? When you go shopping in supermarket where the vouchers are accepted, you can buy the dog food at the same time as your own food. The only items you cannot purchase with those vouchers I believe, are cigarettes and alcohol.

If that isn't a possibility, could you have the dogs fostered out or can family or friends assist in any way?

Otis - Dachhund mix answered on 2/6/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


hi- I know finances are tight for everyone, the economy is not good and Obama should help the poor peoples because humans and dogs need to eat. dud u try to apply for food stamps for u and your husband? Also if your in nyc try the mAYORS aLLIANCE ORG IF NOT THEM MAYBE THEY CAN DIRECT U. ALSO IF U DO NOT HAVE A COMPUTER GO TO PUBLIC LIBRARY AND GOGGLE THE DOG FOOD COMPANIES. I JUST LOST MY DOG OF 11 1/2 YRS ON 1/11/14, I WAS A DOG/CAT RESCUER IN NYC FOR 5 YRS SO I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT STATE U re in but first try to apply for yourselves-food stamps, if u are in nj try the food banks. im here as guest 1176877- Lydia

Member 1176977 answered on 2/15/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer