Jack Russell Terrier / American Pit Bull mix... What can I expect as far as size, etc?

This was the only pup in the litter that looked like its Jack Russell Terrier dad with short legs and semi wired hair. All the other pups looked like their brownish pit bull mother.

Asked by Member 844063 on Jun 8th 2009 Tagged mixedbreeddogs, behavior, outcome in Methods of Training

Answers

♥Molly♥

MEDIUM SIZED....TONS OF ENERGY...TONES OF LOVE TO GIVE

♥Molly♥ answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Awww, sounds adorable!

What you can expect is.....the unexpected! While most dogs fit into some sort of breed specific behavior category, each dog is an individual. You just never know what you are going to get.

Having said that, based on the fact that you have a mix with two terrier breeds, you might, generally speaking, expect a very high energy dog with a high prey drive. Intelligence and a keen sense of interest and play is usually lurking somewhere under the furry surface of any terrier. Jack Russells in particular are tenacious and fiery and can sometimes be a handful because of that high energy and focus.

The great thing about terriers is that they respond very well to training since they are always looking for something to do. Starting early with positive reinforcement style training keeps even super hyper terriers focused.

In terms of size, it's hard to say without seeing the pup, but I'd say 20 lbs average, maxing out at 40.

Good luck with the new dog!

Amelia

My Jack/Pit mix is about 18 months old. He is 25 pounds of love! He is very energetic, but requires frequent naps to refuel. He gets along well with Amelia and our cats. He has been a delightful addition to the family. I need to post Nicky's picture to the site.

Amelia answered on 6/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I really love the personality of my dog Lucy. She's a pit bull / Jack Russell Mix. 10 months old and she weighs 22 pounds

Junior

I have a jack/pit mix to. Junior is seaming to take after his pit side with his size. Hes 6mths old 40 pounds. Very hyper but very lovable.

Junior answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I also have a Pit Bull/Jack Russell mix. he is about 25 pounds. Expect a really cute dog that is high maintenance. However they are very smart and take well to training. My guy has a high prey drive, however he responds to my verbal commands, and always comes when I call him. The important thing is to start from the beginning by letting him know who is the pack leader.

We just discovered a pound pup we got is most likely a jack russel pitbull mix. She's such a love, she goes NUTS at the park doing laps, but spends quite a bit of her day sleeping. She and our other dog have quite the wrestling matches. She's about 47lbs, very slim and tall, and has the front flopping ears that seem kinda typical of the russel/pit. She loves everyone she meets (more so if they have a treat for her) and gets along with every dog she's encountered except one since we've had her. She is extremely intelligent, alarmingly so and easily trainable but can be stubborn.

my jack russell/pitbull turned a year old in october and is about 20lbs. his brother and sisters are a bit larger. all around, he is everything i could ask for in a pet.

I also have a pit/jack russell mix. She is 4 years old and weighs 42 lbs. VERY lovable but has tons of energy and is strong as an ox. Great dog though (except for the shedding! :)

I have a jack russell pitbull mix too.. It is confirmed that the mother was the fullblood jrt and the dad was the fullblood american pitt, I paid a pretty price for him too :) by far the most wonderful dog I ever owned! Born 12/25/2009. I'm pretty curious of what his size will be full grown? Or is he done growing now? Hmm.. he's around 25lbs I'm guessing

My dogs are JRT(mother) Pit(father)They look like giant jack russells with pit bull markings. They act like jack russells. The male is 56 pounds and the female is 41 pounds and not as tall as most pit bulls. The female is brindle and white with a half mask. The male is black and white with a full mask and a bearded face. They are from the same litter. Neither has an ounce of fat they are very muscular and athletic with a lot of energy and a high prey drive. They will be 4 in April.

My JRT/Pit looks like a mini-pit and acts like a Jack Russell. She's only 25lbs and from reading everyone's responses, it looks like it varies by which parent they take after. She's 3 1/2 years old, but acts like a puppy :) Anyway, everyone who meets my dogs falls in love with her... it's a perfect(ly crazy) mix!!! I read some postings online on another site that had them listed as the worst possible JRT mix... boy, are they off!

Enjoy!

roxie

i have a jack russell/pit bull mix we adopted from the spca in florida we new that she was jackrussell but everyone told us that she looked like a pit tooo she just turned one in july shes only 29 pounds she has so much energy but a great dog i have been trying to find people that have the same type of breed i do

roxie answered on 8/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Amber

I have have a wonderfull Pit bull/jack russel mix, her mother was apparently a long legged jack russel and the father a thoughrough bred pit bull, she is so lovable, doesnt stop wagging her tail, every one who meets her wants to take her home, she is the most amazing dog I have ever owned. she has very short legs and is smaller than a jack russel but very muscular and powerfull, she looks more like a minature staffie, she is fully grown now, and only 22cm from the ground to the top of her back, and wieghs about 5kg's, she has a very long tail and long body, and large floppy ears,we do have chickens and ducks and neither our other jack russels or her chase them. she is very playfull and loves to go running and swimming and play tug of war, oh yes and she is very vocal she loves to talk and is a very good watchdog. definatley a wonderfull addition to our family..

Amber answered on 8/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer