I've got 2 collies, 17 months old. They've recently started growling at each other..

I've got 2 collies, 17 months old. They've recently started growling at each other if anyone tries to pet them, feed them, put their leads on etc...
They will then start fighting which is quite scary. it needs to stop as there is young kids around, what do I do

Asked by Member 1201141 on Nov 24th 2013 Tagged behaviour, aggression in Aggression

Answers

The quick fix is to pour water over their heads. Why the sudden behavior change; what happened? Have they been properly trained? If not, I would take them in for a training consultation with an experienced local trainer, the sooner the better. ^_^

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

Pouring water over them isn't going to fix anything, in fact it will likely cause MORE fighting. Many herding breeds are prone to dog aggression, especially same sex aggression. At 17 months they are just maturing which is when these types of issues normally start to show up.
At this point I would strongly suggest you keep them separated and not let them begin to fight, especially with kids around, while you consult with a CERTIFIED canine behaviorist, not a dog trainer.
It is unlikely they will ever return to living together in harmony... but if there is any chance at all a good behaviorist will get you on the right track.
Dog fights can be very serious and it is not uncommon for people around during their fighting to get seriously injured. Please keep them separated until you can work with a behaviorist!

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 11/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

They're probably jealous with each other. Make sure you train them well, show that they are being treated equally, and teach them to socialize with people and other dogs. Never feed them in one bowl. That would trigger aggression.