KODIBEAR

Is watermelon safe for a medium size dog?My morkie loves raw vegies like carrots & broccli in small amounts

Asked by KODIBEAR on Jul 27th 2010 in Raw Food

Answers

I feed my dog's watermelon. Watermelon is safe for dogs to eat. Carrots are really good for dogs, especially for their teeth. Carrots scrub away the plaque on your dog's teeth. Broccoli is really good for dogs, too.

Watermelon is safe in small amounts. Watermelon contains quite a bit of natural sugar, which is ok in small amounts but can cause pretty bad diarrhea in larger amounts, so keep the portions small, particularly for a small dog.

Also, the seeds are indigestible and the white rind can cause stomach upset, so make sure you de-seed any pieces you give him.

Carrots and broccoli are also great. Though, neither cleans plaque off teeth. That is an old wives' tale and the only way to get teeth clean is to brush them, either with a doggie toothbrush or with a damp terrycloth towel with your finger wrapped in it. Carrots don't clean plaque off our teeth, and they don't do it for dogs, either. (Too bad since it would be more fun to eat a carrot than brush our teeth! Tasty!)

Sonny

Sure!
Sonny likes all foods too.
Link to things you should NOT feed your dog:

www.peteducation.com

Some are toxic in small amounts, some require a lot to make a dog sick. Each dog reacts differently so avoiding entirely is safest.

I'm always puzzled by Avocado - there is a food on the market called "Avoderm", which has avocado as a main ingrediant. ??

Sonny answered on 7/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Winnie Mae

My grandmother gives her Newfies the leftover rinds, after we are done eating the slices. I don't know how healthy or safe the rinds are, but I know the fruit (seedless, of course) is tasty for them!

Winnie Mae answered on 7/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sprite

Watermelon is safe for dogs, with the seeds out. I've heard that frozen chunks of watermelon are a great treat for dogs in the summer. As for the carrots, Sprite LOVES them. Haven't tried broccoli yet.

Sonny - Some varieties of avocado are indeed deadly to dogs, so unless you know which types of avocado are bad, I would suggest leaving it entirely. As for Avoderm, apparently they choose 'safe' avocados, but I would question that food anyways.

Sprite answered on 7/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Lhasa loves watermelon. She goes totally nuts! Carrots are in fact one of the best things you can supplement yours dogs regular diet with.

Some years ago, my vet recommended that I feed Olewo carrots to combat the diarrhea that was plaguing my puppy. Well diarrhea was a thing of the past within two feeding and began to see other benefits as well.

Beta carotene repairs the lining of the stomach walls making them less susceptible to allergic reactions. The skin and coat has been much improved. It is thicker and shinier. My boxer has a red hue and it actually enhanced it to where it appears to glow!

I could write a book about why I love feeding carrots to dogs. www.olewousa.com