Is there such a thing as too much attention for a dog?

Asked by Member 1105868 on Apr 15th 2012 in The Dogster Website

Answers

Carter

well if your dog is asking for it too much then i wouldnt give it to him all too often. My dog likes to put his head underneath my hand when im trying to do something...that you just have to ignore when its time for "play time". Theres never too much attention for a dog but if your in the middle of something and she/he keeps asking for it thats different. But it could also be something serious depending on the age. if you are busy and your puppy keeps nuding you she/he might have to go outside. or if its a senior it could have something related to that. BUT if your dog just wants you to pet him/her while you are busy and you give your dog adequate attention i would ignore him/her and tell him/her to lay down til you are finished with whatever you are doing. you cant constantly pet your dog for 24/7 but if they need it then give it to him/her.

Carter answered on 4/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

I agree with Carter... there is never too much attention for a dog. However, there IS 'spoiling' the dog by just loving & kissing on it all the time, even if it was showing forth bad-behavior.

If the dog gets really 'buggy' for attention [even if he gets plenty of it], then you should teach him "Go to bed" "Go away" or "Go play". I taught Shasta "Get" which he would run out of sight, "Kennel" where he'd run into his doghouse and lay down, and "Go play" where he would go find a toy to play with or he'd play with the other dogs.

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

I have a rescue girl that when she wants to be left alone, she will let you know if you try to play with her. So yes there can be to much attention.

Tiara answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer