Is there such a thing as a harness to keep a dog from jumping out over the fence??

I have a large dog who is deaf and no matter how high I build the fence, she has managed to get over it and runs out. She comes back but I don't want her picked up or hit as it is more difficult because she is deaf. Someone recently told me there was a harness which would keep her from jumping out---

Asked by Member 501138 on Mar 5th 2008 in Pet Products

Answers

Well, there is an even simpler way - just tie her on a long leash but not long enough to jump over the fence or get too close to it.

I would be think a harness wouldn't stop her from getting over the fence, if she pulls hard enough, she can probably pull any stake out of the ground. A harness would be better, though, than just attaching her collar since she'd have less of a chance of strangling or hanging herself in the process of trying to escape. A horrible thought, but it happens to dogs all the time, sadly.

Have you thought about putting up a dog run? They have these ready to assemble chain link runs (in all sizes, big enough for a person to easily stand up in and run around) with a chain link "roof" on top, so even if she manages to climb out, she has no place to go.

They make them very large, so she could have the run of the backyard if you got a big one.

If you go this route, just make sure part of the run is in the shade at all times during the day so she can get to shade if she needs it.

I think this is probably what you are talking about - www.morrco.com

No experience with these... it seems like while it would restrict jumping, like it would restrict running too?? But I don't have any first-hand experience with something like this to say either way.

There is a "No Jump" harness available at most pet stores. However, this is not something that should be left on the pet unattended (as with any harness). These harnesses do work well to deter jumping behaviors.

I think that in your particular situation, you need to better confine your dog. A covered run would be ideal. Or, better yet, a LOT of time spent training your dog and correcting the behavior (deaf dogs can learn too). You can incorporate the no-jump harness when you are able to monitor your dog while it is on.

Yes there is.I dont know if it would help with jumping over fences but its called a Jumping Harness

Atlas

Atlas can jump anything too & she's going blind but still manages to jump fences so I feel your frustration. I tried one of those anti-jump harnesses & paid a decent amount for it. She broke the darn thing in less than 10 minutes. It's very awkward and has lots of buckles, etc. I wasn't impressed & even more aggrevated when it didn't work. We put had to put hotwire around the top of the fence. You can pawmail me if you want more info. It's the only way we can keep her contained & she can jump (climb) even our 9 ft fence. She still tests the hotwire several times a day but it is the ONLY thing we've been able to do to keep her in. I was worried she'd get shot or hit, people don't like big dogs running around even if they aren't a threat. It's for their own safety and hotwire has worked well for me. Now all my fences are hotwired in case we get jumping rescues in too. So far no escapes from ANYONE & the boxes aren't expensive to buy & you DON'T need a high powered one used for horses

Atlas answered on 3/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer