Is there anything you can do if the dogs bond to one person in the household?

It's not that they dislike everyone else, it's that the oldest dog loves one person (my mom) the best, and it appears all of the other dogs follow suit.

We adopted a dog about two years ago and I devoted a year to training him. He listens to me, but it is very clear he adores my mom the most.

He waits for her to return and doesn't want to sit with me, he will not follow me around like he follows her, etc. etc.

She free feeds the dogs (Leaves food out at all times) and gives them treats. I have tried before to feed him properly but she won't have it.

Is there any way I can get him to see me as more than he does? I want to take him into the city, but it is impossible as he is nervous (Just a little bit) when he is away from her.

Help!

Asked by Member 1140328 on Nov 12th 2012 Tagged positive, reinforcement, bond, leader, trust, treats, freefeeding, food in Methods of Training

Answers

In general, dogs will bond with the person they spend the most time with. So, try spending more time with the dog. Do lots of fun things with the dog.