Is there a such thing as a pure breed pink miniature poodle? If not, is it legal to color a miniature poodle pink in MN?

On TV today my daughter saw a miniature pink poodle and asked if she could have one. I searched for pink poodle and found that a wonamnhad colored her poodle pink and got a $1,000 fine. So it there a "true pink poodle"? And is it legal in minnesota to color our dogs if there is no such thing? Thank you.

Asked by Member 1078957 on Dec 21st 2011 Tagged petproducts, laws, grooming in Breeds G-M

Answers

Nope, there is no such thing as a pink miniature poodle, or a pink toy or standard poodle, for that matter.
Coloring a dog's coat is safe if done carefully and with a safe, food coloring. However, it IS illegal in many states.
I am not sure if Minnesota allows it or not, you would have to check in the animal section of the state laws.
Remember, MOST states have laws outlawing the coloring of baby chicks and bunnys for Easter gifts. Depending on how the laws are written, for example saying animal instead of chicks, poultry or rabbits, a colored poodle could fall under those laws as well.
I have personally used "halloween hair spray" to spot color ears and tails for special occasions, but otherwise I do not agree with actually using hair dye to completely color a dog's coat, poodle or any other breed. I think it is not fair to the dog who has no say in the matter. They are not toys, after all!

I saw a pink Poodle walking down the street while I was driving last week! It must be legal where I live, at least...

Guest, no dog comes in "pink" unless they're hairless and it's their pink skin.

I don't consider dying a dog any more intrusive or unfair to them than than making them stand for hours to get a perfect haircut or dressing them up in silly costumes and people do that to dogs all the time.

I hope you don't buy your daughter a Mini Poodle just because she saw one on TV though... Poodles aren't for everyone, do some research into the breed if you're seriously considering it.