is there a possibility that my dog can get cancer if i nueter him?

Asked by Member 902856 on Oct 19th 2009 Tagged nuetering in Vaccinations

Answers

Ace

Do you mean can the dog get cancer just because you neutered him? No, I don't believe so. I have never heard of that, and I have had a lot of male dogs. There is a chance of testicle cancer for un altered dogs of course, because my friend's dog had that.

Ace answered on 10/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is more of a chance of him getting cancer if you don't get him neutered. It is always better to neuter and spay less health and temperament problems.

There is conflicting information on that. Here is a link to the AVMA's position, www.avma.org One thing none of the studies considers is the chances of an unneutered dog jumping over the fence and heading up wind to where there is a female in season. Such escapades are far more dangerous than cancer is.

I say pets should be spay/neutered by 6 months. Because most of the puppies we have raised were serious breeding prospects, they remained intact until after a year. Intact dogs can be a big hassle.

No, he won't be at greater risk for cancer if you neuter him. He'll be a happier, healthier dog all around and you'll be happy you had the procedure done.