Is there a home remedy relief for excessive shedding, dry skin, and odors?

My 5 1/2 year old female spayed rottie has a foul odor and hot spots in her head and neck area. The discharge from her eyes is becoming severe and she constantly wants to scratch. She's on Frontline and Sentinel. She also has very dry, brittle fur that has been turning white and shedding excessively. What can I do to give her coat more moisture and relieve this itching? I am unemployed and don't have any income so paying a vet to see her is going to be difficult.

Asked by Member 911538 on Nov 6th 2009 Tagged shedding, odor, dryskin in Health & Wellness

Answers

K-10 Von Canein

Stop using "Funeral Line" and "DisAdvantage". If you are in an area with alot of tics and or fleas, simply add a very small amount of garlic powder to the diet. Garlic, in the raw form, contains sulfer which will eventually cause kidney failure, etc, so only use cooked garlic or garlic powder. You could also look at the ingredients in your dog's food. If you buy cheap food, you get recycled cats and dogs, along with the poison injected to kill them, plastic, etc. Change diets! Visit the forums section and look or ask questions in the food and nutrition section. I feed raw, so I have no problems.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Junior

I hear ya, it really is difficult in this economy to afford expensive vet bills. One thing I recommend for this (once you get back on your feet again) is to get pet insurance, with low monthly payments you could cover a huge chunck of your vet bill, sometimes you may not have the option for home remedies but here are some things that might help:

Hotspot: Wash the area out really well with hot water, and put Aloe on it and let it dry. Wait a few minutes and dry off excess Aloe. Put on an e collar or a shirt/jersey so that she can't scratch at them. Repeat this a couple times a day and they should heal nicely. For detailed information feel free to visit: k9academy.dogboard.net

As for her coat you need to do the following things:

-Bath her with 'soft' shampoos such as oatmeal
-Change her diet because low quality food causes problems like these.

For more detailed info go here: k9domain.web.officelive.com

Junior answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I tend to agree with K-10. Commercial flea medications are questionable. I do not like the idea of using pesticides on my dogs. And if you look, the vast majority of dogs in veterinary hospital waiting rooms belong to owners who feed their lovable carnivore corn-based pet foods and who use pesticides to combat fleas.
Read the ingredients in the flea products. And in your dog's food.
Here's a page with *food for thought*, which means you do not follow it blindly, you think about what you have been told and begin doing research on it before reaching your decision:
eartheasy.com

I normally tell people how important a vet is and what options they have to find and/or afford a vet when I see questions like yours, but vets are trained in mainly modern medicine, not nutrition and flea control. What little they do get taught of it is funded by the companies making these products.
Another article with food for thought:
rawfed.com

My dogs get fed a meat-based diet and we combat flea control with powdered yeast and garlic. Why? My decisions for my pets are based on research, common sense, and experience.
All that said, this is pretty controversial so be sure to conduct your own research. Look at ALL sides and use your head.

For when you do need to go to a vet, here's some options for you:
-Ask for donations
-Ask the vet about a payment plan
-Call the local animal shelter and ask them if they know of a good low-cost vet
-Call the vet and ask for advice

My family is below the US poverty level and on a limited income (and completely unemployed at this time), yet we still take our dogs to the vet.
I do recommend looking for a holistic vet, as well.

As far as flea and tick treatments ask yourself "would my dog be exposed to them frequently?"If not, then youcertainly don't need 24X7 protection, it would be much healthier for your pet to treat the problem should you have one.Hot spots, these are caused by moisture I believe, like the dog licking, drooling or even sloppy water drinking, (a lot of dogs dunk their heads when it's hot too).I have used this product with success on one boy who LOVED to swim and was always damp all summer it seemed.
www.gundogsupply.com
I know what you mean about smell,he always smelled like a gym sneaker.That stuff helped a LOT. Her eyes, that could be a problem associated with shedding/dander. Bathe her with plain water, rub her down well with your hands while she's in the tub,maybe a gentle brush, rinse REALL WELL and dry her very well with a towel,no hair dryer.She needs some fat in her diet, try aTBSPof olive oil on her food every other day.Wash eyes w/sterile water

The 1st thing I'd look into is a food change...Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com to rate food.
If you are feeding a food with corn STOP!...That is a common allergen to dogs.

rottie allergies; poor kid - As soon as you can see the vet, please do.... She may have a Thyroid problem - needs some blood work done.
Brittle and dry fur is a sign of Thyroid ...
OK - see here: help for itchy dogs:
a great low cost shampoo and supplement:
all natural- very helpful and healing:
www.apluspetcare.com

Sassy

You have received terrific advice. Nobody mentioned fish oil capsules. You can use human ones, they may be cheaper. Some dogs like them enough to eat out of your hand or squirt in food. 1 per 30 pounds of dog a day.

Sassy used to stink and have dry brittle fur. She eats a more limited diet now which has helped, you might try switching to a limited ingredient kibble like Natural Balance, Simple Solutions or California Naturals. She also was chronically dehydrated, you might try floating the kibble to be certain she is getting plenty of water. I make sure she gets the amount of water that comes up on this calculator and she drinks more if she likes. www.mycockerspaniel.com

I haven't had to use it but there are programs to help pay for vet bills like Care Credit. The very best thing would be to check for thyroid. Once the testing is done the medication is quite inexpensive.

Sassy answered on 11/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I was going to recommend a change in diet. The commercial foods without corn is expensive.
Also maybe the dog is having environmental allergies as well.
It is really hard to say.
The vet could help you with the hot spots. How long has the dog had the hot spots?
Hot spots are sometimes caused by moisture in the coat, and or a combo of bacteria.
Wash the dog first with good shampoo I would say solid gold, herbal, it is about $9
then the hot spots will require more money. Well, worth it though. I used a dab, tip of finger neosporin, then, spray on this after rubbing it in, Liquid bandage. This should be done every other day. The liquid bandage is about $7 and neo- $6, then once they are healed use Wound Lotion by 21st century, it stays on, use a dab all around area every other day for 5 days. Apply for credit card or something to get the meds. The dog also cannot lick them, use a medical collar sold at petco for $20 dollars. Hot spots are very painful for dogs