Is there a federal law of how many animals can be in a single family residence?

I have family that has too many animals I think. I love animals of all kinds, but it is affecting the cleanliness of their house, and they have children. They do not take care of the animals very well either. Just curious.

Asked by Member 604518 on Mar 7th 2008 Tagged laws, limits, care, animal in Laws & Legislation

Best Answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

In the state of Michigan it is set by the county we live in.
So you may want to check with the animal control or Humane Society in your area.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on Mar 7th.

Answers

Dudley

I don't believe there is a federal law, I think the limits are set by the State. Like here, in louisiana the limit of dogs would be 5, but if I wanted I could aslo own 5 cats. You would be best searching, maybe googleing, for your state + Pet limit laws.

Good Luck!!

Dudley answered on 3/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Felix-Rescue for Adoption! AVA

No federal law unless you are a commercialized breeder that needs USDA licensing then they make sure the conditions are suitable for how many dogs are there. Most states don't regulate either so I was surprised by the last answer but never been to LA so I don't know. Usually it is regulated by the city you live in and whether or not you live within "city limits." Anyone outside city limits usually doesn't have regulations but inside city limits can vary significantly. Our old city has a 3 dog limit, while other cities count "pets" at your resident meaning if 3 animals are permitted, that would be cats/dogs/etc. Also, certain Homeowner's Associations have their own rules listed. Our old neighborhood had a 2 dog limit. You can always call animal control to investigate or child services if you really think it's unsanitary. Both will check out living conditions of BOTH animals & humans. If I were concerned I'd call SPCA/animal control. Sometimes people are hoarders and need help

Felix-Rescue for Adoption! AVA answered on 3/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

No, there is not a federal law, BUT federalism (the right of each state to instate and enforce its laws and bylaws) means that most counties in each state have a law about how many dogs per househould are allowed.

For example, in one county, the maximum can be 7 or 8 dogs, but one county over, the max is only 3.

Also, consider that if you have a property that is not a single residence home, such as a condo, apartment complex, gated community or PUD, there may be additional limits to what kind of animals are allowed.

Some homeowner's associations try to get away with limits on dogs or cats or total pets per household. Frankly, I think that is silly....who is to say that three fish and one dog is too many "animals" per household? LOL.

Also, it is technically illegal for any homeowner's association to differ from the county laws, unless they are in an unincorporated area.

So, you can find out the max number from your county or local city council hall.

Unless one is in the business of breeding and selling animals, or a certified "rescue" (ie: has a 501c3 reg'n) and sells or adopts animals nationwide, there is no "federal law" determining the numbers of companion animals one may have.

At the more local level, however, there may be animal # limits (let it be by a city, county or state level).

IF you feel these animals are being neglected, abused, or otherwise in danger, your best bet would be to contact the municipality in which this particular pet owner resides. If the city or county has its own ordinance, they will let you know and the appropriate claim against the pet owner(s) can then be submitted at that level.

Most county/state ordinances follow a rule of "as many animals as one can reasonably care for", which is arguable in a court of law.

I personally don't feel that there should be a "limit" to the numbers of pets one can be in possession of, but if the pets are not being cared for "reasonably," somthng needs to be done