Elsie

Is there a dog food that's less expensive than Blue Buffalo but still good quality?

Food for my Great Dane is costing me more monthly than my car payment. I love her and want her to eat healthy but this is killing my wallet! I'm feeding her Blue Buffalo Basics (she has a sensitive stomach and can't have chicken) and after tax it's about $60 for a large bag. That lasts her about a week and a half. So food is about $150 a month. Also BB gives her awful gas. I feed my Boston Terrier Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and it's great. Good quality and costs me about $35 per bag. BB gave him bad gas too. I would feed Elsie this food too but all of their food has chicken in it. Any recommendations anyone??

Asked by Elsie on Apr 1st 2012 Tagged bluebuffalo, dogfood, inexpensive, sensitivestomach in Pet Food

Answers

Yeah, quite a few. Since I don't know what's in your area, you may have to do some sleuthing. Start looking at the per-lb price, not the bag price (since different brands may be different sized bags) and go to www.dogfoodadvisor.com to get honest ratings.
I also avoid chicken since I suspect Bruno's leg-licking is a food allergy.

For about the same price as Chicken Soup, you might look for Diamond Naturals. They have lamb and beef formulas. Kirkland (Costco house brand) is also very good and has a lamb formula, and it's incredibly cheap. Might be worth the Costco membership just for that, if you have a Great Dane!

Wednesday

Kibble from Costco definitely has the bang for your buck factor because it's wholesale prices. My shepherd (and Dane?) mix had great success with an organic dry food they carry. Poops were ginormous though. If you're limited to Petco type stores, try Wellness, Nature's Variety, or Natural Balance LID. If you have the opportunity, go to a local pet store or PetPro, and talk to them. I now feed my dog a more expensive food, but less of it.

I agree: Check out dogfoodadvisor.com

Goooood luck!

Wednesday answered on 4/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zoey

We feed our dogs Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. It is good for sensitive dogs. We get it at the local feed store they do not carry it at pet stores around here. I think you can also buy it online.

Zoey answered on 4/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

I heard 4health is a good brand of dog food.BUT it is only carried at a tractor supply feed and grain store if there is one near you.Though i do like blue buffalo better it is understandable for the price though considering the size of your dog. For the gas there is drops you can put in your dogs water that makes them have less gas or less stinky i should say. Also another thing that could be causing your dog gas if its not just the food is the grain in the food.

Carter answered on 4/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

My 3 dogs altogether go through at least 12C food per day... and I am only a teenager so obviously I can't buy their food. I found the best quality 'cheap' food [it costed only a tiny bit more than Purina Dog Chow (which I find is garbage... not even my pit bull would touch that stuff... and he consumes EVERYTHING)] was Nutra Nuggets... gotta read ingredient lables on it... only some types of it have meat as #1 ingredient.

Anyways, I have never done a whole lot of research on dogfood for now since I'm not the one buying it [and my parents can't afford to buy super-quality food either...]

Good luck, hope you find something that works well for you! :)

Shasta answered on 4/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ikan

When I lost my job, I gave my dog the Nutro Max food. It is an all natural food with no by=products and brown rice instead of corn.And my dogs ate it and I did not have the gas problems. And the big thing for me was my dogs are show dogs and their coats still looked great.

Ikan answered on 4/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Monty

Iams is great quality, makes the coat shine, and they make a large breed lamb and rice formula at half the price that you are paying. Stay away from Kirkland and Purina.

Monty answered on 4/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Hounds of Bassetville +3

Have you tried Taste of the Wild? A few of their formulas do not contain chicken and it runs $47 for a 30 lb bag.

The Hounds of Bassetville +3 answered on 4/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer