Is there a breed of dog that's like a Shiba Inu, but hypo-allergenic?

I'm allergic to pet dander,

Asked by Member 928205 on Dec 8th 2009 Tagged shibainu, dander, similar in Shiba Inu

Answers

www.dogguide.net

Above link is about hypoallergenic dog breeds. The breed most like a Shiba in temperment is probably the Airedale, and next the Bedlington. Niether look like a Shiba, none of these do. I have met a Lagotto and a Havanese and they are charming dogs. I liked the Lagotto enough to consider it as a pet - even if I do have to tell everyone it's not a Labradoodle 100 times a day.

There's no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog. There is also no such thing as a non-shedding dog.

All dogs shed and all dogs have the potential to cause allergies with their own dander or even sometimes the pollen or debris that gets trapped in their coat during normal play and outdoor activity.

Rough coated dogs, like terriers with long fur and poodles are often said to "not shed" but this simply isn't true. In the case of terriers, they do shed, but they have a thickness to their fur that includes an undercoat and this traps a lot of the shed fur in it. It gives the appearance that they don't shed as much as one might think.

Dogs like labs or other smooth coated dogs can shed MORE than long haired dogs because there's nothing to trap the fur and it comes off easier.

The dander is the oil from the skin and any individual dog or breed can set you off, sadly. It's best to try and be around a particular dog before bringing him home to see how it affects you.

The Poodle, Airedale, Schnauzer, and other dogs with similar coats that are more of a fur do in fact have much less of the dander that is behind most of the dog allergies. Very often such dogs are successfully matched as service dogs for those with dog allergies.

You may find a dog that will spare your allergies and have the personality you want. You may want to look at rescue dogs and take one on a trial basis to see how your allergies do.

AKC, Purina, and others have breed selectors. I don't put too much faith in them, but you could try one.

It is a real shame that so many that know so little about dogs post so much to dog forums.

Max (aka Sebastian)

www.petplace.com

Here is an article about dog breeds that tend to have less dander, but remember all dogs have dander, and all dogs shed, just some more then others, so there is not a hypo-allergenic breed out there.
You just have to educate yourself on how to keep your allergies at bay. If you have carpet you'll need a good vaccumm cleaner with a filter on it. You'll need to keep the dog out of your bed room and you'll need to follow proper grooming for that breed, to many bathes can cause dry skin(dander) problems.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 12/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

use the charts and online sites we gave you.

On the chart, pick each dog and then type the breed into goggle or your search box online.
If you paste the breed by holding down the mouse on the left copy it in blue, then right click mouse after saving to copy.
Right click when you have arrow in search box.

Don't pick dogs to how they look. That is the worst thing to do.
Pick a breed that is good for your lifestyle.
And then go look at dogs and ask the people which dog is the most shy or the most athletic acting, you should pick a dog that has the similar personality of you the owner and the breed that is going to fit your lifestyle. If you are not athletic then go with breeds that are not so energenic.

I agree, it is pretty much on a dog by dog basis. My cousin and her children were all horribly allergic to yellow labs, but never had a problem with black ones. Having raised both, I did find the yellows usually had a dryer, harsher coat, unlike the shiny glossy black lab.
And, yes, all dogs shed!!! I raise and show poodles and I am here to tell you that they shed! It is true that most of the shed hair gets caught up in the rest of the curly coat, but shedding they do, and there are clumps scattered thru out my house. Unlike my labs, the poodle hair IS in clumps and is much easier to clean up! I have found labrador hair up on the top of my refrigerator and on my ceiling fans!