betty boop

Is sugar ok for dogs? I loved your recipe for "doglicious frozen treats" but I'm worried about using vanilla yogurt.

there's sugar in vanilla yogurt. is that ok for dogs? I've always read that sugar is really bad for dogs. Would you mind clarifying this for me?

thanks!

Asked by betty boop on Aug 18th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Sugar is really bad for dogs. If you see sugar in dog treats or dog food then you should not buy it. A vanilla yogurt is fine. I feed my dogs yogurts almost everyday and it does not hurt them one bit. But it is best to do the plain yogurts.

Miss Buddie

With the banana and peanut butter in it, you could probably do it with just unsweetened plain yogurt. Miss Buddie would eat peanut butter off a rock. :D

Miss Buddie answered on 8/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A little sugar isn't going to hurt a dog. They have to have some source of energy in their diet. But it does need to be very limited. The less a dog eats besides a kibble formulated to be a complete and balanced diet the better. Very much of anything else either throws off the careful balance of the kibble, or adds excessive calories. Don't indulge yourself by feeding your dog too many goodies.

Fritz

Hi, there is a big difference between naturally occurring sugar, like lactose which is found in plain unsweetened yogurt and added sugar. You should be fine with naturally occurring sugar from unsweetened yogurt or banana.

Fritz answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

Sugar is as bad for dogs as it is for humans. Same thing, empty calories. It isn't mysteriously poisonous like grapes or xylitol.

Agree, try making the frozen treats with plain yogurt and bananas. Your dog will love it. Add vanilla if you like as well.

Sassy answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

Mom just uses plain organic yogurt for our frozen treats! We love them! She even gives us frozen pumpkin and it is our absolute favorite! Super yummy!

Maverick answered on 8/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer