Penny

Is Science diet a good dog food

Asked by Penny on Jan 12th 2010 Tagged food in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Ugmo

In my opinion, absolutely not. The ingredients are junk and the only reason vets sell it is because Science Diet pays them to. Yucky, yucky food.

Ugmo answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Farley

Yep, agreed. Science Diet is almost a scam. Selling a food full of such cheap, species-inappropriate ingredients and marketing it as the be-all-end-all of dog foods.
Science Diet is full of poor quality fillers like grains and it's full of by-products and very little meat. Dogs are carnivores! They need meat! Some SD formulas even use BHA! A horrible chemical preservative that is RARELY used in the human food chain. There are tons of better foods out there that are cheaper than SD. I recommend going to www.dogfoodanalysis.com to check out other kibbles. Don't use that website as your only source of information, but it's definitely a good place to start. Also, come on down to the Food & Nutrition forum here on Dogster! There are tons of people there who would be willing to help you with finding a better food. Many people there also used to feed a poor quality food.

Farley answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

Odin

Science Diet is not the CHOICE of the guide dog schools. Guide dog schools are non-profit organizations. Companies like Hills and Purina sponsor and endorse the guide dog schools and they donate and food to the schools or at least offer it at a cheap price. Guide
I really disagree with your statement that "we choose dog foods based on emotional response to a list of ingredients." It's not an emotional response, but a COMMON SENSE response. Dogs are designed for MEAT. It's as simple as that. Companies like Science Diet put nothing but crap in their food and try to sell it as a premium food. If they really DID use science, they would make a food that was appropriate for a carnivorous canine. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the internal anatomy of a dog to see they do not need all the c*** that's in foods like SD. I take offense to the "starbucks crowd" remark. People who choose better foods aren't snobs at all. They are just smart enough to look past clever marketing.

Odin answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I wonder what Aster's reasoning for continuing to bring out the "starbuck's crowd" thing is.

I find it completely unconscionable for someone to continually provoke and belittle other Dogsters' opinions, accusing them of having agendas or even suggesting people here are shills for dog food companies if they have differing opinions.

I find it particularly questionable when the person doing the accusing is the only one I see who clearly DOES have an agenda, posting copies of the same exact answers about their feelings on food, sometimes irregardless of the actual question they're responding to.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however misguided or outdated.

But it is untenable to use Answers as a forum to provoke insult based on those opinions. If one feels they are correct, then there should be no need to haul out the inflammatory "starbucks" remarks. The only reason to do this is provocation.

Penny, Science Diet isn't good. Wellness, Innova, Eagle Pack and Orijen are. :-)

Cyan

No, it is made mostly of corn and is way over priced.

Cyan answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy

Well I dont go to starbucks I dont like coffee and my husband cant afford their coffee we are on a very tight budget. But I also agree with everyone else. It is a very expensive food it costs the same amount as Orijen. Only Orijen is grain free with lots of yummy meat in it. Whereas SD is made up of corn, and b-products and glueten some of their foods use menadione which is bad. Some even use saw dust in their kibble! I recently just found that one out when trying to look something up that I didnt understand. So you can do alot better for cheaper even. I work at a clinic and see dogs and cats on this food all the time. Their coats are dull and flaky, eye gook and they have enormous smelly stool!!!!! A shih tzu has bigger stool then my moms boxer!!! They also look older and lack alot of energy. dogfoodanalysis.com is a great site to see all the awesome foods out there. My favs are Orijen, Natures Variety, GO!, NOW!, Summit Holistics, Merrick and Wellness.

Daisy answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

To the OP, I'm going to let you decide for yourself. Here are the first five ingredients in Science Diet Puppy:
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Liver Flavor, Flaxseed,
Does that sound like the diet of a meat-eating carnivore?

Here are the first five ingredients for Wellness Just for Puppy:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Salmon Meal
3 meat sources in the first five ingredients. Sounds a little more appropriate eh?
BTW, ANIMAL fat is an unnamed fat source. This means it could be ANYTHING from horse to euthanized dogs and cats. And thats a fact. Chicken by-product meal is not bad in and of itself, but it's not an adequate source of meat protein. You'd have to feed significantly more of the Science Diet in order to get the same results of the Wellness (and you'd see bigger poops too!). The cost evens out because you feed less :)

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

No! Here are the ingredients in Science Diet Puppy Lamb & Rice recipe:

Lamb Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Dried Egg Product, Liver Flavor, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Flaxseed, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Fish Oil, Powdered Cellulose, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, L-Lysine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Taurine, L-Threonine, L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Do not feed this food.

Ruby

I got this food for Ruby at first thinking it was good....horrible! It costs alot of money, ingredience suck and it gave my dog diarreha the entire time she was on it. I now feed her Acana and the ingredience are all human grade, the bag of food actually smells like apples when you open it. My dog loves this food, no more itchy skin for Ruby and her stools are normal.

Now to Aster, I don't like Starbucks, I don't do coffee dates there and when I do have lunch dates with friends guess what? We don't even talk about dog food. Get over yourself!

Ruby answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

What everyone else said (except Aster of course). Wellness is by far the best I've used. I always ended up coming back to their CORE reduced fat food after experimenting with other foods. I'm sure you've seen one of their ads by now if your on here daily. (so glad they are getting the word out :) )

I HIGHLY reccomend checking out Sedona's thread in the Food/Nutrition forum on dog food and finding an affordable food.

www.dogster.com

Chocolate answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Depends. How do you feel about feeding your pet CARNIVORE a food made up of corn and other vegetation?
Dogs are designed to eat meat, therefor they digest a meat-based diet best. If they cannot digest an ingredient, they miss out on the nutrients in it. Ever notice how dogs fed meat-based food have smaller stools?
If you think that dogs can digest corn as well as or better than they can digest meat, then I guess you have no reason to shun Science Diet.

I wonder why Aster is so offended by us? Oh well, he used to bug me to no end, too, so fair's fair. He does think that there are facts to back up what he says, he really does. And a true look at both sides behooves a good look at his sources, too. (Which are mostly studies from the AVMA that coincidentally are unavailable for free. The ones I have been able to find have not proven the reason they were refered to me for. I can give you direct examples, if you like. PM me.) But as with absolutely ANYONE, use your head. Not all studies are correct studies.
On another note, I have never even set foot in Starbucks.

Encyclopedia Britanica, ever hear of it?

Omnivores are miscellaneous species whose teeth and digestive systems seem designed to eat a relatively concentrated diet, since they have no large sac or chamber for the fermentation of fibrous material. They are able to chew and digest meat, though they do not have an absolute requirement for it unless there is no other practical source of vitamin B12 (cobalamin). Humans are in this category, as are dogs, rodents, and most monkeys. All omnivores have active bacterial flora in their small cecum and large intestine and can absorb short-chain fatty acids at this point but not vitamins.
the rest of the entry here:
www.britannica.com
Or are you dog owners smarter than the most estemed reference books? Owning A dog for a few years does NOT make you an expert on feeding. Peole USED to give their short lived dogs all kinds of raw meat and offal...wasn't good, that is why there is dogfood

it is pretty average food. Lot of bi products and fillers but not the worst stuff out there.