Piper

Is rawhide bad for the belly?

Asked by Piper on Nov 26th 2008 Tagged rawhide in Treats

Answers

Cooper

It definitely can be, and from what I've read, it's because a lot of them come from other countries where the restrictions on the curing process aren't as strict. This can leave a lot of chemicals that are harmful to your pup on the rawhide, making him sick.

Cooper had been getting sick and when we took his rawhides away, it seemed to help. However, some dogs seem to have rawhides all the time and never have a problem.

Hope this helps!

Cooper answered on 11/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Many people give their dogs rawhide without any problems, but I personally would never give Deogie rawhide. Rawhide, when swallowed does not get digested in your babies tummy. If it is a large piece it means the dog has to either pass it or it can cause a blockage (which could be fatal), both of which are extremely painful for the poor dog.
If you do decide to give your dog just make sure you watch her and throw away any small pieces. I hear pressed rawhide is much better. Rawhide is not regulated in any way so I would only purchase brands made in the United States.
Piper is adorable.

Tessy

I don't give rawhide.Some of my dogs had problems with it (even those from the US).
I give them Nylabones.It's much safer and last a long time.

Tessy answered on 11/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rawhide is dangerous to dogs in both the short and long term.

First, dogs can have gastric blockages from undigested rawhide. Also, depending on the type, rawhide can sometimes pass into the esophagus and gastric tract while still having sharpened ends, which can cut or cause bleeding or other injuries.

Also, the vast majority of rawhide strips are actually leathermakers rejects, which means they are soaked in harsh tanning chemicals even before being purhcased by the companies that will turn them into rawhide for dogs. Add to that the softening and bleaching chemicals that go into making most rawhides, and you're looking at one toxic chewtoy.

Personally, I just don't give these to my dogs. I prefer toys which are not digested in any way, like Kongs or Rogz bones. Both of which you can add real food treats to like kibble or a piece of baked chicken or peanut butter for hours of non-stop fun.