Dutchess

is raw meat good or bad for dogs?

Asked by Dutchess on Apr 13th 2009 in Raw Food

Answers

fatty meat is bad for dogs.i do not feed my dogs any meat at all.so raw meat does make dogs fat.it made my weimaraner bella puek every night and crap in her crate every night.so raw meat is not very good to feed dogs.you will see aalot of saying it is great to feed you dog raw meat or you should feed you dog a raw meat bone.but no you shouldnt.but it is up to you not me to feed your dog raw meat,but im gonna say no.

I have had great luck with fresh,human grade raw chuck, beef trimmings that are not fat but no luck with raw chicken.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

If you would like to start a raw diet you should research it thoroughly. Talk to your vet, dog nutritionists ect. There are so many things to consider that it would be more than 1000 characters to type it all out.

I know quite a few people who do the raw diet and their dogs are just fine. The problem usually comes when people feed low quality raw meat. If you wouldn't eat it, don't give it to your dog.

The raw diet is not something to feed one day and then kibble the next..that's how to get one horrible upset stomach. If you're going raw, be consistant. Make sure you are giving the proper nutrition as well (veggies or suppliments ect). Dogs do need to eat other things besides meat (although that should be tops).

You'll also need to adjust them to the raw diet slowly if they've been on kibble. If you just one day up and started eating raw meat you'd be feeling pretty puny if you weren't used to it.

Like I said before, the key is research! Enjoy and good luck!

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

You'll find a host of opinions on this, though in my experience most who bother to use this section are pro-raw. I myself am pro-raw. I believe that dogs were designed to eat meat, and they did not "evolve" to a cooked diet. I believe that a dog's digestive track was designed to handle raw meat, and that most dogs would thrive on a raw diet. My dog sure has.
As for fatty meats being bad for a dog, not necessarily. A dog will gain weight if you give them more than they need. In raw, a dog is fed 2-4% of it's body weight, nothing more, nothing less.

Before ever feeding the raw diet, it is very important to do your research and to practice safe meat handling. And look at both sides. I used to be very biased AGAINST raw because of one dang article. But, you know what? I joined this site, read testimonials from raw feeders and decided that it was worth looking into. I looked into loved it, started my Papillon mix on raw, and am never going back to kibble again if I can help it.

Here's a page on raw diet myths that I'd like you to read:
www.rawfed.com

There is no rational reason to feed anything but a common brand of dry kibble. Dogs' nutritional needs are quite well known, and modern dog foods are carefully formulated to give them every thing they need. Adding anything else can only upset the careful balance and do more harm than good.

Bottom line, ask your vet. In school, their classes didn't include all the junk science you find on the net.

There are lots of rational reasons to feed raw or whole foods to our pets. Kibble is not natural. It's not natural or healthy for people or pets to eat over processed foods. Dog's nutritional needs are well known and now where does it say anything about feeding little, over cooked, nuggets filled with questionable innapproriate ingredients.

Vets don't learn nutrition in vet school. They aren't nutritionists just as our doctors aren't nutritionists either.

Others wrote up excellent responses in regards to starting a raw diet. We feed raw and would never go back.

Vance CGC

This is a loaded question, really. Raw meat is not bad for dogs. Raw meat is wonderful for dogs, especially considering how lacking and over processed most commercial diets are. However, it needs to be fed properly.

Sporadically giving your dog raw meat, shocking his system with too much change, feeding poor cuts or spoiled raw meat, or exclusively feeding raw meat can be very bad.

Feeding a raw diet, be it partial or 100% raw, takes research and planning. You need to feed meat with bones and organs and if you so choose, veggies to balance it properly. This topic: www.dogster.com is geared toward helping people get started on the diet.

Most dogs lose weight and gain muscle tone on a raw diet. Dog use raw fat as energy. While too much is bad, it is not the same as feeding cooked fat. If a dog becomes ill after starting raw, it is likely due to operator error.

Vance CGC answered on 5/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

it's not too bad. I would just steer clear of chicken. I think the skin made my dog gag. Red meats are excellent though, a wolf would be more likely to eat a moose or bring down a deer then jump into the air and catch a bird. Chocolate gets a slap of raw beef ontop of his kibble once weekly along with other fresh food snacks like goat milk,peanut butter,and egg yolks. Dogs love raw meat as a snack.

Chocolate answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I feed my dog raw pork, chicken, and beef heart. The chicken includes all bones. The pork is usually a leg or shoulder. He eats all the pork bones as well. I also buy pigs feet for bone and a little meat. I make no big plan. I look for whatever is selling for a buck or so a pound. He eats skin, fat, meat and bone. He doesn't like liver or dry dog food. He sometimes gets table scraps. He is an 80 lb. Airedale that gets fed about 2 1/2 lbs. of food once daily. He is very fit, has perfect teeth, and is healthy as a horse.