Cain

is one dog licking another dog's penis a sign of dominance or respect?

My 1 year ole American Bulldog licks my 7 year old lab's penis. Not all the time, but occationally. My lab doesn't seem to mind at all. Just curious what it means.

Asked by Cain on Mar 10th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Jet

This is an interesting question that you've asked. It means respect, and curiousity at the same time somewhat. It means totally different things with different dogs. I doubt that it means dominance, but it is possible. It also depends on if your dog is normally dominant, respectful, or curious. If you have any (good) comments or questions, feel free to contact me!

Jet and Dog Expert Mom

Jet answered on 3/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It means, quite frankly, that there is probably some urine left over (maybe even dried) on the penis and that is just as interesting as if it were on some grass during a walk, or something.

It isn't really a sign of anything other than curiosity at the scent and unless it is really irritating to your lab, it's not really anything to worry about.

It's funny, but some dogs do this while others don't seem that interested. One of my dogs does this to the other, and not vice versa.

But it's really not a sign of anything else other than interest in the scent.

:-)

Hard to say what it means, but both my guys do this to each other. One is 9 months old & one is 5 yrs old. Neither seems to mind & like yours it's not constant, but doesn't seem to be dominance related.