Is my puppy's foot broken?

I have a small mini poodle puppy who is 9 weeks old. He was playing with my sister's doberman this weekend when his foot was accidentally stepped on. He yelped for a short bit but then stopped, however, afterward he wouldnt put weight on his left hind leg. A few minutes later he was putting pressure on it and limping with it. He also allowed us to hold it and apply some pressure but not too much. He has been putting a little more weight on it as time goes by but I would like to take him to the vet tomorrow. He continues to play and everything but doesnt always put all of his weight on his leg. Is it more likely his foot is broken, sprained or bruised?

Asked by Member 841770 on May 31st 2009 Tagged broken, sprained in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Sheri- My Sweet Angel

Hello

You can't never be too careful with a puppy so you better go to the vet.It might be nothing but better safe then sorry!

Sheri- My Sweet Angel answered on 5/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As long as he is putting some weight on it, likely it isn't broken. Unless he seems to be in a lot of pain, I would let it go a day or 2 and see. Such injuries are common and usually go away in a day or 2 on their own. You have plenty of time before next weekend if it does need to see the vet.

Dogs can have a very high pain threshold and can often limp and even put pressure on a fractured, sprained or even broken/dislocated foot or leg.

I would use the human infant rule for this type of injry; that is, take the dog to the vet whenever it seems obvious that you'd do the same for a human being.

He could have a serious, painful injury and the only way you'll know for sure is to have it definitively diagnosed by a vet.

He's quite young and quite small and needs to be checked out.

Hope he's okay. Good luck with your new puppy!