Is my puppy a goldendoodle or labradoodle?

I bought Bear from a breeder thinking he was a goldendoodle when he was about 5 weeks old, now he is 8 weeks. I love him so much! But his hair doesn't fit the descriptions that I've read about goldendoodle pups. It's a bit wiry and scruffy. He's adorable regardless! But I would just like to hear some input to ease my confusion.

Here is a link to a photo of him or you can look at my profile photo:
i53.tinypic.com

Asked by Member 1045722 on Aug 14th 2011 Tagged goldendoodle, doodle, labradoodle, poodle, goldenretriever, breeders, puppies, coat in Goldendoodle

Answers

Since either a lab/poodle mix OR a golden/poodle mix is a mixed breed, there is no way to predict how the coat will end up in the resulting puppies. I have seen both with short, coarse hair, longer, wirey hair, and/or long poodle type hair.
Whether your dog is a labrador/poodle mix or a golden retriever/poodle mix completely depends on whether one parent was a labrador or a golden retriever, not how their coat ends up. If one parent is a poodle and the other is a labrador retriever, then it is a labrador retriever/poodle mix, if one parent is a golden and the other is a poodle, then it would be a golden retriever/poodle mix, and either of these mixes can end up with any type of coat depending how the genes fall.

And.....

Keep in mind this is his puppy coat. By one year he will have his adult coat which may be a different texture and even a slightly different color.

My neighbors Labradoodle had black ringlets as a puppy, but changed to a dark grey with loose waves.