Burma

Is my dogue getting too big?

I have a male Dogue de Bourdeax who is 7 months old. He currenlty stands at 70cm at the shoulder (breed standard is max 68cm) and weighs 116lb. I have been told that these dogs dont stop growing in height unitl they are 12 months old. I am new to the breed and would like to know if this is unusual and if not how big will he get and will I need a stable?

Asked by Burma on Mar 12th 2009 Tagged bigsize in Health & Wellness

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

Here is a link to the breed standard: www.ddbs.org
Contrary to what you said, the two breed standards I looked at said the max height can be 75cm. I don't know much about Dogues, but I think that as long as you don't need a perfect show dog, its okay if he is a little over on height. You will not need a stable, giant purebred dogs will not be very much bigger then they are supposed to be, even if it seems like they will never stop growing.
My friends have a GSD, that, at 7-8 months seemed huge, people even joked about getting him a saddle, and at around a yr old he is just your averaged sized GSD.
A giant breed I think will grow a lot in its first few months but the older it gets the less it will grow. Your Dogue may be huge now but he's probably not going to grow as fast as he did when he was 4months old.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Unless you're going to show him or your vet is concerned about his size/weight, I wouldn't worry. As my vet says, he'll get as big as he wants to. :D

Miss Buddie answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mastiff breeds actually don't stop growing until 2-3 years old.
Just make sure you are feeding a good quality LARGE BREED puppy kibble. Orijen is my favorite, Wellness is a close second. Feed this until he is 2 years old, as he needs all that he can get.
Because this is a new breed, it isn't going to be uncommon to vary from the standard. As long as the vet isn't worried and he isnt' showing any symptoms of a growth disorder, then you should be fine!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bandit

Here is another webite on Dogue de Bordeaux standards:
www.dogbreedinfo.com
He might get a little taller in the next couple of months but he probably will just start to thicken up and put on more weight. I wouldn't worry about how big he is going to get just make sure to feed a good quality food. You'll defiantly need a fence that will keep him in.

Bandit answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Type in de dogue akc into search.
Males-23.5 to 27 inches at the wither. Must measure correctly.
Males-110 pounds
Females - 99 so give or take about the same weight.
By the way He is Georgeous!
Always wanted one they are strong guard dog and very intelligent.
Good luck. Make sure to exercise him some. At the age of 7 month he has a long way to go. Feed him a healthy diet with exercise.
This breed is large and large boned, yes.
His max height should stop by 12 months. So yes to that. He will fill out after that. After 12-18 months he should have a regular routine of exercise.

Hi - there are some great resources here - free service :
see if they can help you.
Good luck
Dog Food Experts and reviews:
www.allexperts.com