Is my dog trying to show affection, or is he trying to show me something?

when I stroke and pet Kosmo, he always pushing against my body and shows me his behind. Then, he looks back at me, waiting for me to do something. Is he just wanting me to show affection, or is he trying to say something is wrong with his behind?

Asked by Member 657230 on Apr 9th 2009 in Socialization

Answers

Sativa

I would say he just wants his bottom scratched. Sativa does the same thing. She wants right above her tail scratched and loves it.

Sativa answered on 4/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

thor

I would have to agree with the other post, sounds like Kosmo def wants a good butt scratch. My thor does this too, he sometimes backs up to me and puts his bottom on my leg, or when he is really desperate, he pushes his body between my knees while im standing and stops just where i can reach his bottom right above his tail. I have never met a doggie who didnt enjoy a good butt scratch. try it, he may be asking for just that. good luck , and big doggie hugs to your family from ours.

thor answered on 4/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My big boy does the same thing. When I first adopted him my trainer told me not to let him lean against me because it's a show of dominance. I will have to admit, I discouraged him from doing it for the first few months I had him and he did stop challenging me. But now, I let him lean away and when he looks back at me, I scratch him on the side of his face and he just loves it. It's cute and when he does it to other people, they just eat it up.

Miss Buddie

When Buddie does that, she wants me to scratch her right at the base of her tail. She just loves it.

Miss Buddie answered on 4/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

I agree with the others, he wants to be scratched. Occasionally my dog will do this when I'm rough-housing with him, he will turn around in my face and look back at me with this "Well?" look on his face and wait to either be played with or scratched.
My JRT used to do this when she was playing with one of my cats, they would be play fighting and she would be constantly be turning her rear in the cats face, cat would bite, she would nip and do it again!
Doing it like my dogs do/did I'd say its some weird kind of play, with your dog, its just a way to get you to pet him in a certain place. Its not a "dominant" behavior or any such nonsense, but all the same, don't be overly encouraging as it could turn into an annoying, demanding "pet me now!" behavior, so pet him occasionally when he asks, but mostly do it when you want to.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 4/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samson does this too...He just wants a good butg scratching!
Leaning on you doesn't mean your dog is being dominant...It just means that he wants to be close to you. : )

Give him a little scratch on top of his rump or behind the thigh area. He is rubbing againist you to say hi and I love you. He wants attention, this is normal.