Iana

Is my dog possibly a Podengo? I was told she was full Westie; she obviously isn't.

I was given pictures of her father but not her mother. Her father doesn't look Full Westie even though his owner says she had full papers of him; she said she would send me copies of his papers; she never did. Iana is now 5 1/2 months old, 12 lbs, and displays all the behavior traits I've studdied of the Westie breed, but her hair, tail, and ears are nothing of the breed. A friend who owns a podengo (full blood, with papers. he is a stud) thought she was one when he saw her and was surprised to find I was told she was Westie sired.

img.photobucket.com

Asked by Iana on Sep 9th 2008 in Portuguese Podengo Pequeno

Answers

Hmm, that's weird. Maybe they were lying. The dog in the picture looks like a Cairn Terrier mix.
Oh, and the standard describes the ideal dog of the breed. Dogs can and do vary from the standard. In fact, no dog fits it perfectly. The standard is a guieline for breeders to breed for. It keep the breed's looks in general from varying too much. However, the dog in the pictures looks way to far from the standard to be purebred.

Iana does not look like a purebred Westie to me - although it is possible that she's simply a very, very badly bred (backyard bred) Westie, which may account for her un-Westie like looks.

I think the chances of her being part Podengo are ridiculously slim, since that is not a breed commonly found in the United States, with only about 180 registered Podengos in the country.

Sammy

Well, I'll be blunt; obviously you were lied to. While some dogs do stray from the standard, this is clearly a mix. She might have Podengo, but as mentioned before, they are few and far between. She is probably a mish mash of terrier and her mother may have already been a mix herself. Even so, do not be tempted to get her DNA tested, because it is very unreliable. I'm just concerned about someone out there selling puppy mill mutts or backyard bred mutts as pure bred animals just so they can sucker someone out of their money.

Sammy answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

HARLEY

I have to agree with Burkett's. Looks a lot like a cairn terrier.

HARLEY answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer