Van Gogh (In Loving Memory)

Is my dog deaf?

Is my dog going deaf? He doesn't respond when someone knocks on the door (he used to go crazy for that sound) or when I clap or yell or whatever. He'll only respond when I stomp on the ground, but I'm assuming that it's the vibrations he feels, not the sound.

Asked by Van Gogh (In Loving Memory) on Mar 4th 2008 Tagged deaf in Health & Wellness

Answers

Due to his age, I would say it's time to go to the vet and get those ears checked out. We will keep our paws crossed for you, good luck!

~ Princess ~

It sure sounds like it but like the pup above said take him to the vet to make sure. I have seen a lot of shows on t.v showing how to make a older deaf dogs life more enjoyable so maybe you can Google it or go on you-tube and get ideas on how to keep him happy.

Good luck at the vets.
Love Princess

~ Princess ~ answered on 3/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

well, for what u said its time for a trip to the vet! all paws crossed and good luck!

IMO, it could be that he is deaf, but I think it could also be that maybe he is sick. Like the others said, see a vet.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

The above posters are right.At age 12 it is more then likely that your dog is only able to hear certain things.It is probably time for a Geriatric work up at your Vet soffice to make sure there is nothing else going on with your dog. Good job on providing a good home for youor dog to live a happy 12 years!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 3/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dozer P. Kingsbury

Try one more thing before the vet. If your dog knows the word treat, or food, try saying that instead. Sometimes as dogs age they are less responsive, not just deaf. Using a stimulus that might be more effective could help resolve the question. If he is deaf, don't worry;
Deaf dogs can be a bit more edgy since that was one of their best senses, but you can
use lights and hand signals to communicate.

Dozer P. Kingsbury answered on 3/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer