Is my chihuahua too small to breed?

My chihuahua is about 5 or 6 years old and she weighs about 3-4 pounds she is small and I love her to death! My mother and I are thinking of mating her with another chihuahua older than her but about the same size. What I wanna know is if we do have her breed will her life be in danger?

Asked by Member 1152301 on Jan 28th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes! It is possible she could die...from the actual mating, or from complications during pregnancy, or from complications during the whelping.
Why breed? Is she a stellar example of her breed? Do you have a mentor? Have all the requisite health tests been done? Do you have homes for all the possible pups? Do you have about 5000$ put aside for emergencies?
Do NOT breed her; spay her & let her enjoy her life. Leave breeding to the professionals. If she is not even up to breed standards, you should not consider breeding.

A first breeding at her older age absolutely doubles the health risks, which are extremely high already at her breed and size. Chihuahuas have one of the highest rates of requiring C-section births, which, in themselves, are extremely dangerous.
Wiley is right...spay her and don't risk her life to create more puppies... if you want another one, the shelters and rescues are full of chihuahuas literally dying for want of a home.

SNEAKERS

I think Wiley has understated the amount needed for possible emergency care...should be at least $7500. Those days in ICU really add up !

You might consider having a Spay for about $250 if you intend to get a Male companion, or just let things go as they are, if you get a Female.

There are MANY MANY little WaWa's out there, who would be JUST right for your situation. PLEASE check with your local ASPCA or an independent shelter for one of those totally cute little guys, which desperately need a good home like you can provide.

Do more than just provide a companion...save a life !

SNEAKERS answered on 1/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer